carved fireplace wood

nemotode

Bought a house, inherited a wonderful carved fireplace/mantel.  But my wife thinks it's hideous.  Question 1: anyone have any idea how much I might be able to sell it for?  Question 2: what kind of wood is it?

If it helps, I live in San Antonio, where there is a fairly strong German influence. 

post-15830-0-95309300-1404681142_thumb.j

post-15830-0-26066100-1404681160_thumb.j

post-15830-0-30092800-1404681362_thumb.j

Traditionally such heavy carving is in Linden (Basswood) if done by hand but not always in the German tradition. Is the carving relatively soft e.g. can you press a thumbnail into an unseen area and leave a mark? There is a touch more grain coloration than some Linden shows but those appear to be large pieces. At this point there is little to make me think it is something harder.

Edit: You asked another question. Somebody wants that piece. If they want it they may pay up to $500 but until you find that person no one else will pay that much. Patience and a willingness to ship are your friends.

• 3 weeks later...

TIODS beat me to it again.  It may be a nicely done, even a nice piece, but I'm thinking your wife may be right.  At least for the firebox shown that is totally the wrong piece.  

I'm not going to be any help on the wood species but I agree that there should be a buyer for that out there somewhere and a architectural recycler is going to be your best bet and have the best idea of value.  Unfortunately they're going to want to take a cut but since it came with the house you'll still come out ahead.