Mesquite Box

ReLMAustin

Hi,

I wanted to test out how mesquite would work in my mostly hand tool shop so I made this box.

I got the wood from a local sawmill.  Mesquite is local and reported to be very stable so I had been considering it for larger projects.

I hand resawed the 4/4 into two boards about 3/8" thick.

The mesquite cut pretty well and planed, especially the end grain, nicely.  The issue I had was with paring action using a chisel.  The ends of the mesquite pieces just kind of crumble.  So I ended up having to fix the areas around the dovetails by glueing chips back in place.  After all the rework, the dovetails look pretty good, but I wouldn't go this route again.  I think making a box of rabbet joints would have probably worked better.

Another thing I found is that planning with my smoother seemed to burnish the surface.  After a couple of passes, I couldn't get a shaving to lift.  That might be my technique and less about the wood, though.

post-5347-0-38522600-1404698223_thumb.jp

post-5347-0-84750900-1404698243_thumb.jp

post-5347-0-06189800-1404698255_thumb.jp

Interesting reading your experiences. Lotta mesquite around here (still fighting keeping it out of my yard).

After visiting a customers ranch in South Texas about 20 years ago, I became so obsessed with the looks of this tree that I came home and found a nursery that sold them (actually they said they had the two in stock for several years and couldn't get rid of them) and I bought 2 and planted them in my yard. My yard guy doesn't like the low hanging limbs w/ the thorns but I think they look neat and any trimmings go towards flavoring steaks on the grill.

After visiting a customers ranch in South Texas about 20 years ago, I became so obsessed with the looks of this tree that I came home and found a nursery that sold them (actually they said they had the two in stock for several years and couldn't get rid of them) and I bought 2 and planted them in my yard. My yard guy doesn't like the low hanging limbs w/ the thorns but I think they look neat and any trimmings go towards flavoring steaks on the grill.

Sounds like a good enough reason for having them :)

pdjms1,

Great looking waterfall table. I have a slab of pecan I want to try that on. Did you miter the ends w/ a circ saw? You might try something like this for the other leg.http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wood+waterfall+table&qpvt=Wood+Waterfall+Table&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=F28D48747AA258267E6C48B6E418AEE3F494A428&selectedIndex=12