Wish me luck - first dovetails

Tony Wilkins

Somebody mentioned a 'hybrid filed' dovetail saw - wonder what this actually is?  It sounds like a bunch of marketing hoo-hah.  These were cut, quickly too, with a Lynx gent's saw that cost $25.  For carcase dovetails I'd use a larger Spear and Jackson honey that set my back around $40 on our favorite auction site, might even use a 10" tenon saw.  I used a Stanley dovetail saw for years that cost $6 until it was destroyed in a fire.

It tickles me to death to be able to put a decent straight-across rip filing on the tiny teeth of a dovetail saw much less a 'hybrid' filing.  Those guys at Bad Axe must have bionic vision.

To be perfectly honest, it's probably easier for a beginner to cut dovetails with a slighly blunt saw.  Easy startin' is where it's at if you're new to the game.  Mine live in a state of bluntness to some degree or another - they're such a bi*c* to file. Otherise, If by hybrid you mean a different pitch and/or tooth count per inch from toe to heel that's a totally unnecesary refinement and potentially a detriment IMO.  All you need is a reasonably fine-toothed saw with straight plate same tpi and rake the entire toothline.  Simple is almost always best!

post-14879-0-31334700-1421752984_thumb.j

post-14879-0-25581900-1421753001_thumb.j