What do ye hate the most ?

As much as I love woodworking there are still some aspects that I don't look forward to ... Fitting or installation for example, I love making kitchen cabinets and wardrobes but I know the final step is fitting and it's the one thing I wish I could snap my fingers and have it done :-/ ..... What about you guys, as big a passion as this is for you what do ye hate the most ?

Putting finish on projects. I can build the most perfect project and by the time I get done putting finish on it I am disappointed. Wipe on poly has helped a little, might have to try HVLP?

Go hvlp - you won't regret it. Makes finishing much faster and more enjoyable.

Huh, I actually enjoy wide panel glue ups. 

My least favorite part of any project is the last 10%.... be it assembly, finishing, fitting hardware....  The last 10% always takes 50% of the time!

That and anything on my router table.  That thing is a stress inducing nightmare. 

My favorite parts are milling, dimensioning, shaping, dry fitting.   You know, the first 90%.

I know what you mean .... Hardware is slow and tedious and then you have to take it all off again to finish :-/

Putting finish on projects. I can build the most perfect project and by the time I get done putting finish on it I am disappointed. Wipe on poly has helped a little, might have to try HVLP?

I'm actually starting to enjoy finishing but if I have to apply the same finish in the same way over and over I start to get annoyed. My go to finish is a clear lacquer using my HVLP ( with compressor ) and Franklin is right you won't be disappointed, but I like to change things up so it won't get boring

post-14825-0-60234000-1404921072_thumb.j

This is a cabinet door I painted with a roller and the finish was great.

I believeth thy least favorite part is picking the next thing to buildeth.  Cause once thee do and startest it, ye is stuck with it thru completion.

That, oh, and picking the next tool purchase.  Only allowed one per year and there are so many to choose from.  :o

I love finishing AND cleaning.  :o

miw

There are three things I dislike intensely about wood working.

1: packing/ unpacking the shop daily.  As my shop is a tiny little space (I'm doing minor blogging about it on a WordPress site, and I'm thinking of calling the trend "micro shops"), I have to move things out of the way to use them.  Not normally an issue, but I spent an hour cleaning and throwing out stuff just so I could see into the dark recesses Monday....

2: Finishing... and not for the reasons you might think.  Again, since I have to pack up the shop at the end of every session, there's not a lot of room around for projects to sit while the glue dries or the finish cures.  This means I have to find a place (usually underfoot in the living room or kitchen) for pieces/parts to sit and wait for my attention, or for whatever liquids I've used to dry.  I can't leave it in the shop... because that's an outdoor space (with major moisture issues) that will affect the project in multiple manners.

3: Cleaning.  I know it's a part of every job.  I thought having an outdoor shop would be easier to clean; just let the breeze pick it up and blow it away.  I forgot that sawdust tends to land in piles where you cut, and doesn't blow away unless directed by a really strong wind.  Plus, critters and creatures in the neighborhood love that stuff, and will be attracted to it whether you want it or not.  All those little scraps that a finished floor makes easy to pick up become complicated when you have to fish them out of grass, cracks, pots, or crevices in the door frame.  (Not to mention all the neighbors' cars that might need a dust cover when I start sanding.)

Clients that change things and then think the price is gonna stay the same!

And the time frame !!!! ..... A good few years ago my dad asked me to build a new modern counter for the shop but my mother said no and that I was to build some units for the sitting room because my grandparents were coming over from Italy. So me and my dad agreed that the visitors were more important ( even if there wasn't anything actually wrong with the furniture in the sitting room but she must be obeyed ) so I take a look and tell her it will take me three weeks and and everything was ok. About a week into the project my mother asks me to make her a kitchen aswel seeing as I'm doing things for the house anyway and I agree, so I finish the sitting room after about two weeks and make a start on the kitchen and about a week and a half into the build my mother comes up to me and says " I thought it was only going to take three weeks !!! " ...... Even my dad said she's having a laugh

2: Finishing... and not for the reasons you might think.  Again, since I have to pack up the shop at the end of every session, there's not a lot of room around for projects to sit while the glue dries or the finish cures.  This means I have to find a place (usually underfoot in the living room or kitchen) for pieces/parts to sit and wait for my attention, or for whatever liquids I've used to dry.  I can't leave it in the shop... because that's an outdoor space (with major moisture issues) that will affect the project in multiple manners.

That is actually one thing I didn't like about my old shoe box of a shop .... When it was time to finish a project I couldn't do anything else because I'd be kicking up dust, even just moving around in there would ruin a finish :-/