What do ye hate the most ?

Emptying the dust collector and putting the bag back on. "Got that side secured down, just have to slip the bag on the other side...no, the other side slipped off. Put it back on....uh, now that side fell. Okay, I got it all on there, just have to tighten the collar around it, nope, the other side of the bag slipped off again. Okay, added DIY clamps to the collector to hold the bag in place, this should definitely solve the problem....no, the bag slipped out of the clamps..."

Scraping off squeeze out on glueups. The act in itself makes sense, but often time all the clamps in the way adds far more difficulty in doing this effectively.

Spiders. I never see them, but no sooner than I vacuum all the webs down, they're back within days putting webs back all over my equipment.

Small shop space with tricky corners. No matter what I'm trying to transport through there, there always seems to be a corner that comes out and dents my board, or the long board I'm trying to plane that I initially think will work is just a few inches longer, etc. When I finally buy a house, it'll be one with a full sized ceiling and wide open unfinished basement, for sure.

• Like 1

One I hadn't thought of: Moving items.  Be it tools, lumber, plywood, or completed projects, I'm invariably bound to hit something with a corner that cannot easily be repaired after I've completed all the major steps.  (Not always on my "hate" list, but it's up there...)

• Like 1

Emptying the dust collector and putting the bag back on. "Got that side secured down, just have to slip the bag on the other side...no, the other side slipped off. Put it back on....uh, now that side fell. Okay, I got it all on there, just have to tighten the collar around it, nope, the other side of the bag slipped off again. Okay, added DIY clamps to the collector to hold the bag in place, this should definitely solve the problem....no, the bag slipped out of the clamps..."

Scraping off squeeze out on glueups. The act in itself makes sense, but often time all the clamps in the way adds far more difficulty in doing this effectively.

Spiders. I never see them, but no sooner than I vacuum all the webs down, they're back within days putting webs back all over my equipment.

Small shop space with tricky corners. No matter what I'm trying to transport through there, there always seems to be a corner that comes out and dents my board, or the long board I'm trying to plane that I initially think will work is just a few inches longer, etc. When I finally buy a house, it'll be one with a full sized ceiling and wide open unfinished basement, for sure.

Use duct tape to hold one side of your dust collector bag while working on the other side. Makes for a much happier experience.

So I have never encountered the types of people you mention, because I have been intentionally avoid them!

I used to get it all the time from a know-it all retired cabinet maker who works at my local woodworking store. I usually just ignored him, but one day he said that because I was young (I'm not I'm mid 30's) and inexperienced (I'm not I've been woodworking since my early teens) I needed a saw stop to protect me from myself, and that pushed me over the edge. I offloaded on him and since then he gives me a wide birth whenever I'm in the store.

Just to be clear, I'm referring to the guys who tell you:

1. you're wrong because they have been doing it longer

2. you're wrong because you're using a technique they don't like

3. you're wrong because you used an expensive tool instead of a rock

4. you're wasting time, because you research something before trying it.

I think this describes 90% of us.  ^_^

miw

• Like 1

My biggest gripe isn't a task, but a type of person. The pissy "old guys" can irritate the crap out of me every now and then. 

Just to be clear, I'm referring to the guys who tell you:

1. you're wrong because they have been doing it longer

2. you're wrong because you're using a technique they don't like

3. you're wrong because you used an expensive tool instead of a rock

4. you're wasting time, because you research something before trying it.

I get this all the time always being the "young buck" on the job sites. It doesn't bother me anymore, it amuses me. The last two older fellas that gave me crap, I ended up redoing kitchen cabinets that they installed upside down and shot screws through the show face. I came in on that job to help and ended up replacing them while they were re-tasked to the mickey mouse jobs around the house. :) 

• Like 2

And this is woodworking related because it involves sawdust....I hate it when I get sawdust in my beer :rolleyes:

coffee as well!

Yeah... I don't like to put coffee in my beer either.  (Sorry, Drew)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

For me, it's not having a temperature controlled shop. I work out of my garage. My shop time varies greatly day to day based on temp. Almost non existent during the summer.

Adam

I have a 20" box fan set up at one end of my shop. If I step out of the stream of that thing, I don't notice at first. But after maybe 20 minutes and the saw dust is clinging to the sweat on my arms, then I realize what's going on and go back to it.

The thing I hate most is milling stock at the start of a build. Part of it is impatience to start building and part of it is the monotony of running boards through the planer until all of the stock is the same thickness.

Always seems like one board is thinner than the others by a hair, and everything else has to keep getting run until they match.

#1 Having so many things I want to build and can't decide what I want to do first.

#2 Being too much of a "collector" [code for hoarder of crap]  I see a couple of burls somewhere and grab them but I'm not doing much turning right now so the crap grows and before you know it, my 21 x 27 shop is only paths

#3 Along the lines of HOC (hoarder of crap), I build something, use it, change to something else but can't bear to dispose of the thing I no longer need.  Case in point - I built a 30" x 60" mobile unit out of 2x6s laid flat, glued and bolted together; installed 6 castors, built a box on one end, removed my contractor saw from the stand and mounted it on the box, on the mobile unit.  Worked great. Then bought a cabinet saw...contractor saw AND cart no longer used.  Contractor Saw was in a fire long ago, cast iron table warped a little....need to dispose of, that's ok... but the MOBILE UNIT!!! It's really nice!!!  Repurpose? Ok...to what? SOMETHING....THINK TIM!!!......ugh frustration.  I wish I had a 40 x 40 shop for the CRAP and a 40x40 to keep neat and work in...problem is, unless I fix that character flaw, the crap shop probably will never be big enough.

• Like 1

Applying stain then urethane to a table top and coming back after it dries to find that I forgot to wash my hands after I ate doritos! (What a rookie mistake, and I make it more often then I would like to admit). So, yeah Doomwolf, sanding as well.

Oh, and when I have the coping saw perfectly on that tiny point on the tip of the end of the miter and I go to start my cut on a good down stroke but it slips right at the last minute and the entire stroke glides into my finger. Yay!

HW_75x75.gif

Applying stain then urethane to a table top and coming back after it dries to find that I forgot to wash my hands after I ate doritos! (What a rookie mistake, and I make it more often then I would like to admit). So, yeah Doomwolf, sanding as well.

Oh, and when I have the coping saw perfectly on that tiny point on the tip of the end of the miter and I go to start my cut on a good down stroke but it slips right at the last minute and the entire stroke glides into my finger. Yay!

HW_75x75.gif

First post...Welcome!!!