Future Shop!

pghmyn

Thanks guys :)

I have been throwing all my stuff in the garage in between garbage pickups. I'd rather throw everything out little by little instead of all at once with a fee.

I have my dad asking his friend at work how much it would cost to have a 50amp sub panel run out to the garage. Not that I am going to be doing this right away, but it is good to know what I am shooting for in terms of cost. Also, he can give me a list of all the correct materials to buy so I can get them all together when he gets here.

Steve, that was exactly my thinking. With all the open walls I can run all the electrical where I want it within hours. It will be amazing to have a shop with electrical how I want it.

Quick questions...

If I insulated the walls, and rafter space, how would this help with temperature? Is it even worth it to invest in insulation, or should I stick it out?

I would insulate if cost allows. It will make any choice to condition the space that much easier and dramatically reduce your energy needs. Are you asking because of the overhead door or do you have some other concern?

My garage is insulated but unconditioned. It is connected to the house on the north end. The slab keeps my garage just slightly warmer than my basement until the kids get their bikes out.

I just thought that if I insulated the space, and didn't have any means of conditioning it, it would heat up like an oven. I am going to eventually replace that door with an insulated one, as this one is just a thin sheet of fiberglass. I don't mind that it is a manual door, but if the next door is too heavy I will put in a power opener.

I also plan to remove the window next to the big door and put in a man door. This way if I do have an air conditioner, I don't have to open and close the big door. Same thing goes for winter with heat.

This is not like masonry. The insulation will slow heat transfer, but does not hold heat in itself like stone or metal. In this way, if the sun superheats your roof and you need to vent your shop with a fan, that insulation between you and your roof is a very good thing.

Sam, Without a doubt, insulate the walls and the ceiling. I've never been to Wisconsin but I have been to SD in the winter and it's brutal. I insulated the walls of my shop/garage and it made a difference. Later I insulated the attic and it made a world of difference. It's the next best thing to having a/c. And then a cold beer would come in third :D  

• Like 1

Absolutely insulate that space.  It won't make it 72 year round, but it will keep the temperature swings down to moderate changes.  And I'd gladly trade spaces with you; that's a fantastic space for a shop.  (Or to put a car.)

Absolutely insulate that space.  It won't make it 72 year round, but it will keep the temperature swings down to moderate changes.  And I'd gladly trade spaces with you; that's a fantastic space for a shop.  (Or to put a car.)

CAR :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

You might be able to attach foam panels to your existing roll up door to insulate it. If the weight is too heavy the springs may need to be tightened . Either get a pro to do it or approach it cautiously and read up on the procedure. The torsion spring can be dangerous. There are several other types of garage doors so do some research before you modify one.

Gonna be a great shop, Sam.  Congrats.

Insulate for sure, then drywall...after electrical.  Don't know if you saw the thread I started a couple weeks ago, but I got a window AC unit for my shop and it cools things down pretty well...and I'm not fully insulated yet and I have a drafty garage door.  It was only a couple hundred beans, give or take.  Totally worth it.

Your problem is gonna be finding a place to store all the crap that's in there now...snow shovels and the like.  Gotta build a shed before you can start on the shop. :)

Thank you for the kind words :)

Looks like I will be going to insulation route! Everything might just fall into place with air conditioning. I have a window unit now, and it is in our bedroom. My house did not come with central air, but I will be upgrading to it next year. That leaves me a window unit for the shop.

My back yard isn't big enough to build a shed. Well, it is big enough, but I like the green space. I am planning to set aside one of the walls for miscellaneous tools and supplies. Even with losing that space, this shop will be a gigantic leap forward as compared to the shop I have now.

On a side note, I talked to the electrician going to be doing the work for me. We decided on a 60 amp sub panel. This leaves me plenty of room to expand and do whatever I want in the shop. I also threw him a curve ball asking about 3 phase power. He said it was unlikely, but not impossible for me. I probably wont get it at this house, but I would like to eventually have access to it. I'd like to invest in some of the older industrial machines that are bargains because they have the 3 phase motors.

Well, off to work this morning, cheers all :)