Suggested finish for items made out of pallets?

Googs

Is there a specific type of finish you would recommend for a table that was made using pallets?  The last table I made I used a polyurethane coating and it ended up slightly changing the color of the table.  Is there anything you would recommend that would offer protection for the wood and still maintain the existing look/color of the wood?

Thanks,

Googs

That is a tricky one Googs. Did you use WB poly? Oil poly can yellow and alter color. WB is generally chosen if you do not want that yellowing. If I remember correctly you used some gray faded material? This material with poly will look "wet" and you lose the gray. Is this the effect you are trying to avoid or am I off base?

That is a tricky one Googs. Did you use WB poly? Oil poly can yellow and alter color. WB is generally chosen if you do not wang that yellowing. If I remember correctly you used some gray faded material? This material with poly will look "wet" and you lose the gray. Is this the effect you are trying to avoid or am I off base?

Thank you for the quick reply!  I don't recall if it was Oil or Water Based... I will have to look when I get home.  You are correct, the wood was gray and faded.  I am trying to avoid the "wet" look.

I have followed this concept with interest because my wife is partial to the faded barn siding look. In short, I can not source a single protective coating that will look as good as the raw product if you like that look. That said, some here have posted images and suggested spraying a tinted dye to keep the gray color before coating with some other product. I have yet to work up the nerve to experiment.

*How in the world does auto correct sub wang and not fix to want???

I have followed this concept with interest because my wife is partial to the faded barn siding look. In short, I can not source a single protective coating that will look as good as the raw product if you like that look. That said, some here have posted images and suggested spraying a tinted dye to keep the gray color before coating with some other product. I have yet to work up the nerve to experiment.

*How in the world does auto correct sub wang and not fix to want???

Thanks for the information, I never thought of using a dye.  I will have to look into that further and maybe give it a shot next time I have the opportunity.

As to your question, "*How in the world does auto correct sub wang and not fix to want???".  I wish I was able to help answer this as you've been very helpful with my question.  Unfortunately I do not know the answer though, I would however be cautious in searching for the answer via google.

I don't know of any protective finish that won't yellow AND doesn't add some shine. Maybe a very thin spray lacquer can be misted on enough to give protection and at least keep a relatively clear matt finish. A good seal coat is important when using pallet lumber, as it can be contaminated with chemicals and/or biologicals that you do not want to be in daily contact with.