On-Line Equipment Auctions

Kcwig

Has anyone had experience with on-line auctions of woodworking equipment?  Good experiences?  Bad?  I'm not talking about ebay or craigslist, rather sites like irsauctions.com.  Seems like there are plenty of risks - e.g. no in-person inspection, no opportunity to see and hear the machine run, etc.  But it also seems like there are (potentially) some really good deals available.  Thoughts?  Any suggestions for trustworthy auction sites?

Hey Kris, IRS is pretty good, check out Bidspotter as well. Just be careful to make sure you only check out auctions where you can physically get the equipment. I made a mistake of bidding and winning a very nice Laguna 16in bandsaw at an awesome price ($450). The only issue was that it was in Michigan and I wound up paying $50 to a company to palletize it and then a trucking company to deliver it..All in all an extra $400. Still a nice deal since I got 20 1" Laguna KingSaw Re-saw blades and it (the bandsaw) was in impeccable condition. 

Another issue is to watch the fine print. Certain auction houses add an extra $50 to $75 to bring the equipment to a shipping dock for YOU to load. If you want them to help or do it themselves, expect to spend at least another $40-50. 

Remember that most of these online bidding sites are a "clearing house" of many auctioneers. Bid Spotter will charge an additional premium on top of the 10-15% that the home auction house is charging. Sometimes it is better to just deal directly with the auction house. Just call them and ask the questions that I had mentioned to ensure there are no surprises.

Best of Luck!

Matt