What's the best finish for a wooden fishing net?

Nick2cd

the woods used are cherry and walnut.  i used a semigloss poly on the last net i made.  i can't tell how well the finish is holding up because the recipient will never knock it around or dunk it in the water.  

here's the one i made last year.  this one will be much bigger, as it will be a boat net

photo4_zps68559513.jpg

photo4_zpse79fbd58.jpg

==>Yep,spar varnish

And the all-important 'UV inhibitors'... I can recommend the high-solids products from Pettit and Epifanes:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=92&familyName=Epifanes+Gloss+Clear+Varnish

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=101&familyName=Z+Spar+Flagship+Varnish

BTW: Jamestown Distributors introduced a VIP shipping program (very similar to Amazon Prime). I've been getting it for a few years, and it works well. One suggestion: bin all your hasmat items (epoxy, 2-partPoly, etc) into one order -- you get whacked the $4.99 up-charge on the first item and the rest ride for free...

==>epoxy designed for the water like West System

Still need a UV inhibitor... 207 won't last long without one.

207 has an inhibitor in it,  so all he needs is a topcoat with a uv filter in it. In my opinion 207 by itself should last a long time with the occasional use he says its going to get.

==>207 has an inhibitor in it

Just looked at the data sheet, it says UV inhibitor, but requires a UV filter topcoat? That's a strange thing to say... Are they talking UV1 -vs- UV2? That could explain it, but it's a strange way to word it... May just give them a call and ask what's what...

==>207 by itself should last a long time with the occasional use he says its going to get.

Depends on fishing style, I suppose... When the river's up, I tend to leave as much kit as I can on the riverbank (usually baking in the sun) to avoid drag... If I get something, I'll work back to my kit.. But I'd sure like to know the answer on UV inhibitor -vs- filter...

==>207 has an inhibitor in it

Just looked at the data sheet, it says UV inhibitor, but requires a UV filter topcoat? That's a strange thing to say... Are they talking UV1 -vs- UV2? That could explain it, but it's a strange way to word it... May just give them a call and ask what's what...

==>207 by itself should last a long time with the occasional use he says its going to get.

Depends on fishing style, I suppose... When the river's up, I tend to leave as much kit as I can on the riverbank (usually baking in the sun) to avoid drag... If I get something, I'll work back to my kit.. But I'd sure like to know the answer on UV inhibitor -vs- filter...

If memory serves, The inhibitor significantly slows down the rate the epoxy will yellow and degrade, but it doesn't prevent it. The top coat prevents the UV light from reaching the epoxy.  Honestly, i think its legal butt covering, because its used in structural applications and they don't  want to get sued if someones boat sinks. To be fair nothing that's remotely clear can truly stop the degradation.