Lamination Glues

arcwick08

Hey team!

I do a lot of small laminated turnings. Thing in the 4"x4"x3" realm, made out of 8-12 layers of various exotic woods. My process is usually to glue these all up with tb2 or 3 depending on what I have in stock. I've always had great success with this bond; it never fails on the lathe, etc.

The problem is, it's messy and very time consuming. Plus in the North Carolina summer here, even TB3 starts to set up before I've got the whole blasted thing in the clamps. The result is a 10-15 minute stress fest where I, my workbench, my clamps, the dog, all get covered in glue.

There must be a better way.

Any ideas on new and creative adhesives I could use here? Super glue is too expensive/brittle and epoxy is worse from a mess standpoint since its freaking impossible to clean up...

Help!

TB3 has a longer open time, there are other extended time glues on the market also (go to the Rockler Woodworking site) also there is resin glues that you have to mix like Weld Wood can't remember the other one. As far as making a mess if you crack that nut let me know the secret I make a mess every time, when I do a glue up on my bench I set a piece of plastic sheeting down first you can use the same piece a bunch of times the glue just pops right off the plastic.

==>^^^

Search is your friend...

Believe it or not, I actually did search before creating this thread, and read the one you linked! (which had great information). I posted it here (turners cave) because of the specific stresses a turned piece undergoes. I've not heard of UR/UF glues being used for turnings... I worry about them on the lathe due to their slightly more brittle nature. The same things that prevent creep might make for a shock-break on the lathe (a la using CA for laminations).

Do you think that'd be an issue?

I've got a big honkin respirator and have already had cancer once, so the health concerns of the dangerous glues don't really worry me...

Adam; What are you using to clean up the polyurethane glue?! I swear most of my common solvents don't touch the stuff and I have to chisel it off once it's cured...

It's all about the "when" for cleanup. I generally let it dry then use a scraper/chisel to remove the excess. Anytime I've spilled any, I quickly wipe it up with a paper towel. Since it is an expanding glue, a little goes a long way.

I am in no means an expert with this glue. I occasionally use it for pens and for projects involving melamine. For the melamine projects, I cut away the excess because my parts are typically oversized.

Adam

I think I found a winner, or at least, something that makes things slightly easier; gorilla 'wood glue'. Seems to have a longer open time than tb2/3 and is a little less viscous so it spreads nice and thin very easily... I'll report back after I've turned something, hopefully nothing explodes off the lathe!