Curved wine rack

wdwerker

Very Nice... Well executed...

One thing; there's a bottle size 'standard' (and I use the term loosely) published by some wine group or another... Built the wife a wall or two of racking and discovered that some bottles are substantially larger than others... I don't mean Champagne or magnums, but Shiraz bottles are larger than Cab bottles... that sort of thing... Luckily, she had a reasonable collection of bottles, so was able to 'pick the big ones' for the project... I found the bottle standards later... Based on your design, doesn't look like a problem, but may come in handy for the next build...

The countertop is going to be granite. 32" span between the wing walls and the curve projects out 9" from the load bearing points. I added 1" thick oak under the top to stop it from flexing.

post-6363-0-99839300-1405030998_thumb.jp

We got the back on it and clamped and glued the bent lip strips (that keep the bottles on the shelves) to close a few gaps and get everything tight. . This is a short deadline projects so nails, glue, clamps, screws were used heavily.

post-6363-0-55945400-1405031197_thumb.jp

We have about 6 pieces to build for this job. One of them is a curved front bookcase to cap the end of a peninsula / waterfall type wine rack. We built one according to the contractors instructions but the client didn't like it, so we built another one with deeper shelves.

post-6363-0-39598900-1405031463_thumb.jp

We got another base cabinet done for the wine cellar today. Careful measuring and cutting to get the grain patterns on the "A grade" Mahogany ply to match from doors to the drawer.

post-6363-0-42509700-1405475053_thumb.jp

We are also making an arch to go between wine racks . It will be over the curved wine rack we built.

Clever layout work let me use the scrap of the curved shelves as the framework for the arch.

post-6363-0-39860900-1405475073_thumb.jp

I used up some leftover stock as the ribs in the arch.

post-6363-0-11873900-1405475093_thumb.jp

Tommorow we have to glue , clamp and shoot a couple of layers of 1/8 Luan to the inside of the curve.

Then get started on a tall narrow section of curved shelves to fill an odd gap in the wine cellar.

It's a great design -- I know elements were inspired from internet images, but still...

I'd be tempted to do a write-up for FWW, PopW, etc...

Or even better, Wine Spectator... You never know... Wine racker to the stars... Why not?  :)

Marvelous!  Do you find the bottles wanting to roll around and off the rack any?  That would be my only concern... which a string of scalloped coves on the edge might correct.  (Thinking out loud, as it were.)

That small cabinet: was that intended for a glass rack?  Maybe line the back with cork or mirrors, put a couple of puck lights under the top, add small glass shelves, and send it to my place... (I mean, add brass accents and gift to the client... yeah, that's what I meant....)

There is a lip on the shelf that keeps the bottles from sliding off. The design is for 8 bottles displayed in a fan . The bottles vary in diameter and length enough that we decided to skip any scalloped elements.

The little base with the drawer will have a granite top to provide a corking station. We actually had to shorten the cabinet because the client has a tall framed picture to hang above it.

Now, I've drunk, drank, imbibed a little wine in my day. And your work is beautiful Steve!  Just one question! If that system is designed for wine that is going to be used right away, it should work perfectly!  If however that wine is going to sit for a long time, Will the cork stay wet? I know a dry cork will be difficult to extract, and no one likes lumpy wine!

We have about 6 pieces to build for this job. One of them is a curved front bookcase to cap the end of a peninsula / waterfall type wine rack. We built one according to the contractors instructions but the client didn't like it, so we built another one with deeper shelves.

Steve, Another great looking project! On the rebuild mentioned above; just out of curiosity, do you have to eat that or, since it was "according to the contractors instructions" do you get to bill for it as well?

Re...Steve, Another great looking project! On the rebuild mentioned above; just out of curiosity, do you have to eat that or, since it was "according to the contractors instructions" do you get to bill for it as well?

Re... Dry cork. If the neck of the bottle is no more than 4" above the base the bubble stays in the bottle and the cork stays wet.

Contractor squirmed and fussed but he had to eat the rebuild and other changes expense.

We just got the first layer of 1/8 ply on the arch. Might be a bit overbuilt but here it is.

post-6363-0-13812300-1405529692_thumb.jp

Yea, we checked the sizes of a lot of bottles in the completed section of his cellar. Sized the curve to hold 8 of the larger bottles in a fan shape.

Used the Blockkz to hold the many clamps in place.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I Googled Blockz and didn't find these. Is there another name for them. They look darn handy!

We got them all stained today. Surprisingly this job only gets stained , no finish at all. Install is tomorrow

.post-6363-0-51257100-1405640735_thumb.jp

post-6363-0-89345300-1405640749_thumb.jp

post-6363-0-09917500-1405640766_thumb.jp

I love the grain on the shelves.

post-6363-0-98981000-1405640779_thumb.jp

This tall curio shelf section fills an odd angled gap. You can see the details better in the picture with the small curved front bookcase.