Curved wine rack

wdwerker

I just got the pictures edited and resized to post. I hope I can get back to this job after the granite tops and the rest of the racks are in. Crown moldings will cap everything off. I often take pictures at this point to prove that my part of the install was un damaged just in case someone else scratches a piece.

post-6363-0-24709600-1405793873_thumb.jp

post-6363-0-64807800-1405793896_thumb.jp

post-6363-0-94548300-1405793912_thumb.jp

Using pre finished birch for the interiors improves visibility and allows easy cleaning.

post-6363-0-27180400-1405793935_thumb.jp

The effort to grain match the doors paid off !

post-6363-0-33577500-1405793957_thumb.jp

The corner shelves filled an odd angle.

• Like 1

Re..I Googled Blockz and didn't find these. Is there another name for them. They look darn handy!

Re..half pipe construction

It took 8 BLOKKZ and about 32 clamps to close all the gaps when I glued up the arch. Never seem to have enough clamps of the right length. The only reason I used the mahogany ply for the sides is because they were the off cuts from the curved shelves. It's the right shape and it's precut so I went for it. Bending ply or wiggle wood as we call it would have been a better choice than the 1/8" Luan but it finishes horribly.

Great job!  Only thing that bugs me (and it's nothing you did) was visible on that close-up of the small cabinet to fill the corner gap.  Judging by the fact that the other bookshelf extends past the wall/column/post, the owner has no issues with it, but my OCD kicks in and says that post should be equal to the end of the bookshelves, or a "false cap" of some form used to make those two ends even.  (Again, not a comment on your work, just my OCD issues.)

What were some of the challenges in making that smaller cabinet?  

I was just hired to do the specialty pieces. " We need a section to fill this odd space left because a post for a steel beam had to be added" so I had to make (3) 90" long pieces of custom trim with 2 different angles plus a rabbet for 1/4" mahogany ply and create a template for the angles and a curved shelf to fill the space. Almost 2 days to make the parts, sand and assemble.

When I got to the job site today with the last piece to install all of my sections had already been loaded by the homeowner. I took some pictures hope to edit and upload them later tonight.

Unless I can get back to the job site after the granite and final lighting is installed these are the best pictures of this job.

When the client puts the good stuff on the shelves over the weekend you know they like it.

post-6363-0-67034200-1406251587_thumb.jp

The wine racks and a few bottles on the curved shelves help give you an idea of what the final look will be.

post-6363-0-96860500-1406251774_thumb.jp

He filled the corner shelves as well.

post-6363-0-50627500-1406251911_thumb.jp

The last piece we installed was this end cap which was sized to hold the oversized bottles right as you come in the door.

This corner is the only part with the crown molding installed so far. It's always nice when all the other trades work and the clients furnishings make your woodwork the finishing touch to a room.

post-6363-0-28506300-1406252302_thumb.jp