1989 15" planer question

Apalmer

Hey, I'm currently looking at a used 15" planer for sale locally. It's a 1989 Master Machinery unit, model number 9241. It's a 220v and has the fixed overhead motor with the adjustable base. It definitely needs some tlc but the price is awesome. A new plug needs to be put on before it is tested (which I can handle). And other than that if it is just rusty I'd be willing to clean it up.

But I'm mainly wondering has anyone had any experience with master machinery tools? I've only seen forums with an 8" jointer and cabinet saw using this manufactures name. Secondly what should I be looking for if I was to go and see the planer? Ill wire the plug on and be sure the motor works, and try to send a piece of lumber through it. And I've also read to check if it is made in Taiwan or China, Taiwan being the better of the two. What else should I look for so that I don't buy it and get it home to realize its scrap metal?

Thanks for taking a look,

Apalmer

I attached an image of the planer.

Can you still get replacement blades for it?  If you can't get blades for it, it would just become a boat anchor.  What about other parts that you might need?

I've never used that brand or model so, no real opinion there.  

I don't know that brand specifically but a lot of the import machines share castings with other brands. Might take some research to find out the details. Sometimes blades can be made to the length you need by a full service sharpening company. When working on an old machine basic parts like pulleys bearings and set screws can usually be found but specialty parts and castings may be irreplaceable . There is an old machinery forum, have you tried there?

Thanks for your answers... I'm kind of hoping, like wdwerker said, a lot of those older planers were made very similarly, therefore interchanging parts from different manufacturers might work. Therefore I could swap blades possibly with another planer. Or hopefully there's enough steel on the current blades to sharpen them up. And secondly I'm waiting for my registration to go through on owwm.org and ill post the question there as well. But is there anything to check on an old planer? Like on a jointer, checking for sag on the beds is a major flaw - can anyone think of a major problem I might see on an older planer?

Thanks for your answers... I'm kind of hoping, like wdwerker said, a lot of those older planers were made very similarly, therefore interchanging parts from different manufacturers might work. Therefore I could swap blades possibly with another planer. Or hopefully there's enough steel on the current blades to sharpen them up. And secondly I'm waiting for my registration to go through on owwm.org and ill post the question there as well. But is there anything to check on an old planer? Like on a jointer, checking for sag on the beds is a major flaw - can anyone think of a major problem I might see on an older planer?

Just FYI, they don't do Asian on OWWM: "The main discussion area for the history, collection, restoration and preservation of old woodworking machinery. Old woodworking machines are defined on this forum as being at least twenty years old or are no longer manufactured. Please note, no Asian made machines may be discussed on any of the forums."

Planer knives are pretty generic, you can source replacements from Infinity Tools when you get the old ones out and can measure them. Knives are the least of your worries.

Take a straightedge, some feeler gauges and a dial indicator/ holder with you when you go to check the machine out. You want to make sure the bed is flat and that the cutterhead is parallel with the bed. Old planers get worn/deformed in the middle of the bed from too many years of misuse and you can't fix a bed that isn't flat. You can adjust the alignment of the head to the bed but it's a royal PITA involving flipping the planer and moving the chain on one or more of the 4 sprockets. Infeed/outfeed rollers are pretty easy to adjust. While you're poking around with a flashlight, check to see if the rollers are coated, if so, what's the condition of the rubber? At 25 years old you can plan on replacing the cutterhead and motor bearings as well.

Quick check: Take a couple wide boards with you and run 'em through. Check thickness on both edges with a dial caliper, if it's different by more than say 5 thou on a 2x10 or it snipes at the end walk away. If you hear rumbling noises from the head or motor it's probably bearings, walk away. If you hear a squeal from the motor when powering down it's bearings(again). You know what to do by now...  ;)

Lotta work for saving a few bucks vs. buying something newer and slightly used.

HTH,

Bill

Apalmer, I believe I have a nearly identical planer in my shop. It's a 1994 Woodtek with their classic John Deere paint scheme. Looking at your photo It looks very very similar. I would suggest giving them a call for your replacement parts/questions/needs. I had a question about wiring the motor and their service department was absolutely outstanding. I left a voicemail and the rep called me back soon after. Woodtek generally has a less than adequate reputation on some machinery forums, but I am beyond impressed with my machine.