Who makes this jointer?

Fxguy

Hey guys, anyone know who makes this jointer? It's on sale at the local habitat for humanity restore for $50. Couldnt find a lane with a manufacturer or model number though. Needs a lot of work, table is rusty but flat, knives are dull but until I can figure out who makes it I can't buy a new set of knives.

Any guesses?

mysehu7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

>Seems a little harsh without context?

While $50 seems like a good deal, he'll spend considerable shop rate, knives, etc... and still end-up with a boat anchor... How many hours would spend getting this thing parallel and square? Shimming the key ways? What's your time worth? Even a hobbyist has a shop rate -- but it's usually one of time, not $$... The 20 hrs spent getting this thing up-to-snuff (but still remain a smelly pile) could be invested elsewhere... Sorry, that's the truth of the matter... If your hobby is restoring vintage tools, have at it...

• Like 1

I have a Danforth...really! Works pretty well on my 19 foot boat. I also have some tools that may make the Danforth cut and my Crapsman 6" jointer has come close. On the jointer, 4 square has a point BUT I've often been where I have more time than money so if you don't mind tinkering some, $50 is great.  Worst case scenario is you take the knives out and send them off to have them sharpened or learn to sharpen them yourself.  My Crapsman is a little bit of a pain - like yours will probably be - but it beats not having one...I think <_<

Hobby, my time is worth exactly $0.00. That is what makes it hobby and not business. On the flip side, I have seen guys here spend 20 hours setting up like tools by better makers that are brand new. I don't think your point is without merit, but it is quite overstated. Take a straightedge, maybe the current user already adjusted the tables. Check the knives, maybe they just need a touch up and have no major nicks. In my experience the fences on old jointers are often abused and so are the safety features. Things to look for, but not necessarily to panick over.

Make them plug it in so you can hear it run.

Ok, so I got it home, and got one of the knives off of it, but can't quite tell the size knife I will need to replace it. It is 6 " long  and 1/8" thick, but the thickness is kinda off. Its somewhere between 11/16" and 3/4". I was checking out http://www.holbren.com/jointer-planer-knives/ and they have a set there that is 5/8", one that is 16.5mm (41/64") and one that is 3/4" which one should I get? 

Ok, after working on the new Jointer for a bit, I no longer believe it is a harbor freight model. I found this label on it : 

IMG_0033_zps02a9253e.jpg

But I can't make out the Model Number on it. It looks like a Craftex Busy Bee tool from the CTT 095 at the top, but can't find a reference for that anywhere. 

Any guesses? 

That's what I was thinking, looks like it's either CTT Tools, inc or Craftex busy bee. Anyways, for $50 I don't think I'm doing to bad. I sanded down the tables and fence first with 60 grit and then 150 grit with my Random Orbit Sander and then checked, the tables a pretty coplanar. I ran a piece of scrap through it and here are the before and after pics....

Before....

dabysyde.jpg

After.....

a6y5yna8.jpg

And the results aren't half bad, but check this last pic.... Looks like I'm going go to need to fiddle with the fence a bit to get it locked down at 90 degrees..

5aruvegu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can buy a magnetic welder's square from Harbor Freight for a few bucks to help get that fence at 90°. 

Question though....did you flatten the face before jointing that edge?  If not, that could cause the skewed corner....

I was using a combination square to try and get the fence to 90 degrees. I did not flatten the face before joining the edge. Also had one of the blades removed at the time, but wouldn't think that would make a huge difference. 

Very new to using a joiner... :-) 

So right off the bat I have noticed two things about the joiner that need some kind of fix / repair / solution. The first is that fence doesn't seem to stay locked down. I get it to 90 degrees, and then lock it down, and run a scrap piece through and then recheck and its off due to the second problem.

Problem number 2 - there is a TON of vibration in the machine. I glanced at the pulley and it seems that the belt may be old or worn because it is vibrating quite a bit and doesn't seem very tight. Going to need to fix this if this machine is going to be a long term solution.