Who makes this jointer?

Fxguy

IDK on the 90 degrees but with the belt, sometimes they sit in one spot for so long, belts develop some memory and contributes to the vibration.  Solution is a new belt or replace with a link belt.  If it's NOT the belt......could be a cutter head bearing gone bad.

• Like 1

IDK on the 90 degrees but with the belt, sometimes they sit in one spot for so long, belts develop some memory and contributes to the vibration.  Solution is a new belt or replace with a link belt.  If it's NOT the belt......could be a cutter head bearing gone bad.

Great! That would be all I need..... I can't even figure out what make and model it is to even figure out how to go about getting a replacement part for that! (If its even worth it....) How would I tell if the cutter hear bearing has gone bad? 

I'm hoping a new belt and a good cleaning will do. I mean the tables are cast iron, and in pretty good condition as far as being flat and coplanar. As for the fence, I think once the vibration goes down and maybe if I replace the lock screw or tighten it that it might be ok.

There is a guy on here who suggests tack welding a fence at 90° if you intend to only using the jointer to surface square to the table.

Don't know how to tack weld or who I could ask around here that could do that... Although I do intend to use the jointer pretty much for squaring up rough stock. Pretty much going to use it for squaring and for edge glue ups.

So I am pretty sure its the belt / motor tension and not the bearing on the cutter head. I used some WD40 on the cutter head and tried to tighten up the belt by lowering the motor assembly only to notice that the screws are somewhat stripped, they won't tighten down so it doesn't maintain good tension on the belt. 

That belt tension issue is not difficult in most cases if you are at all particular. Cast materials typically tap easily. You should be able to find a clear tutorial on YouTube if you do not know how to tap threads to a slightly larger size. It may also be possible to drill through and use a nut, lock washer, and bolt in some situations.

• Like 1

That belt tension issue is not difficult in most cases if you are at all particular. Cast materials typically tap easily. You should be able to find a clear tutorial on YouTube if you do not know how to tap threads to a slightly larger size. It may also be possible to drill through and use a nut, lock washer, and bolt in some situations.

I was just thinking I might just rethread them to the next size up and buy some new screws :-) Not to mention its about time I make some use of that tap and die set I bought a while back.....

Edit -- So I go to take the screws out to tap the threads to a slightly larger size and take a screw with me to the hardware store to get the next size up and come to find out the holes are already drilled and use a nut, lock washer, and bolt, so no wonder I couldn't tighten it down..... Anyways, bought a new belt that I am going to put on later this evening and see how well that works. 

So I put a new belt on it, ran the motor without the belt and its pretty silent. With the new belt its still noisy, but nowhere near as noisy as the old belt, much less vibration. How do I know if the blades are dull and need sharpened or replace? 

For now, all thats left I think is the blades and the fence, which may no longer be that big of a problem now that there isn't nearly as much vibration.