Crib build

bradpotts

I started to build this crib after I found out that my wife and I are going to have a baby girl in November. My wife's grandpa said he wanted to give us some money for the crib. I said I would much rather build the crib. So that is where the story begins. I drew a sketch. y4ysuje3.jpg then I made a to scale drawing. ugu2y6en.jpg Which it looks nothing like. Bought all of the lumbery7azysut.jpg Now I'm ready to start. Because I wanted the slats to have a curve, I decided to cut all of the tenons first. u8egute3.jpg Once I had all of the tenons cut I needed to cut the mortises. Because I don't have a mortiser and I had almost 40 slats I needed a way to cut them relatively quick so I made this jig. yrepasy8.jpgepa5apuv.jpg From there I cut the shape of the headboard from a template then used a flush trim bit to get it how I wanted it. 4aru6ytu.jpg Here is what she look like. yrype8y4.jpg Did some string inlay on the rails. me4ypaty.jpg Then my wife said she wanted an inlay. Of course I said okay. Here is what she came up with. hu6ahaqy.jpg This is going to take a while

Beautiful inlay work and impressive construction on your crib. It should last for generations ! Sign it and date it plus city and state , the info will be appreciated by your ancestors.

Use a finish with UV inhibitors and keep the headboard out of direct sunlight if you want to retain the bright colors of the purpleheart. Regardless of what you use it will darken over the years, it's going to oxidize even under a finish just slower with some protection.

Lots of exterior finishes have UV inhibitors but be careful choosing one. They might not cure hard enough for use on interior furniture.

I would check the Material Safety Data sheets on any finish you consider for UV protection and child safe qualities on a fully cured finish. Marine Spar varnish is not a good choice for furniture like a crib !

I usually bounce questions like this off of my finish supplier. He has years of experience and knows his product line.

I just did a little Googeling and Minwax makes a water based Version of its Helmsman Urethane finish. I would read the MSDS sheet carefully before using it on a crib, but they list cabinets and countertops as possible places to use it . The solvent based version will add an amber tone to your beautiful inlay work. The water based finish is supposed to be clear. I haven't tried this but it could work.

Make a test panel with your scraps and shellac coats then try the finish if you decide it is safe for the crib.

I used Crystalac over stain when I built my daughters crib.  Water based and is tested / certified as safe for children's toys.  I believe it was the Super Premium I used (spray only) and it is very forgiving to work with.  Tough as nails, but it does not have any UV protection.  Also, looks best on light colored wood; doesn't do dark much justice.  One option would be to use shellac as the base coats to accentuate the wood, then go over with the crystalac for a hard durable surface.  Cures water clear

Some of their other products are for exterior use, but don't know about use on toys, cribs, etc.  It's sold through McFeely's..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally finished today. Sorry I didn't update as much as I wanted. Ran into a time crunch. My wife wanted it done before the baby shower next weekend. Here she is. 170b5b96d990f842203cdb394c7791ec.jpg3ac73f47efbe8d7a2dfa0ca73422f7a8.jpg

I will update with a picture after my wife has it all ready for the baby.

A couple things I learned from this project:

If you are cutting mirror images for an inlay, glue the two pieces of the wood together with a couple drops of super glue. Cut them out as one then pull them apart.

My portal cable scroll saw broke twice during this project. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, even if I didn't like them.

Finally, buy the mattress first that seemed to help with all the measurements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1