'Doh!' moment

wtnhighlander

I had a nice one today. Spent nearly 4 hours constructing a miter sled with tall front and back fences. The intention was to get super accurate and repeatable cuts for inside and outside miters on 4 1/2" crown moulding for my kitchen cabinet facelift. Imagine the forehead slap I gave myself when I discovered that a 10" saw blade is about 3/16" too small to reach through the 1/2" sled base and the moulding! I can get by with handsawing the last bit and trimming it with a block plane, but man, that sure is an aggrivation!

After months of frustration with my router table, I finally set aside some time to tune it up.  the problem was the screws holding the base kept working themselves loose while I was routing.  I bought a new router for it about 2 months ago and it has happened ever since.  I bought some thread lock hoping that would solve the problem.    Well, here is the Doh! momentum.  When I took the screws out I realized one of the three screws was in the wrong hole and not screwed into the router base at all.   

After months of frustration with my router table, I finally set aside some time to tune it up.  the problem was the screws holding the base kept working themselves loose while I was routing.  I bought a new router for it about 2 months ago and it has happened ever since.  I bought some thread lock hoping that would solve the problem.    Well, here is the Doh! momentum.  When I took the screws out I realized one of the three screws was in the wrong hole and not screwed into the router base at all.   

A heel of the hand to the forehead moment, T shirt enroute!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to admit I've done both with an inherited router table and the other was a "slab" cutting bench for miters...  with the blade at an angle and the 3/4 inch sled i had to flip it and turn it and try to make the cut again with perfect alignment.  

• 3 weeks later...