Scrub Plane

..Kev

The latest edition of Wood magazine has a scrub plane that looked like a fun build.  I'm between client projects so figured what the heck.  I'll admit up front that I have no clue what to expect but, the down side is pretty minimal.

Plan calls for a Veritas blade which was only 25 bucks.  The upgraded A2 blade was 39 bucks which was where I was leaning until a friend pointed out the LN blade for 35 bucks.  So, the LN blade is now on order.

Plan called for an all maple body but, I added a little purple heart for fun.  Here's the block.

a27ba1.jpg

Next I needed to take 1/4 inch off of each side and then cut the opening out.  Then put the sides back on.  Kind of like a band saw box.  Here's the first side glued back on

8ec2c9.jpg

And the other side glued on

7f7861.jpg

I have a couple other things on my plate tomorrow but, I'll update as the project comes along.

• Like 2

Cool build Kevin! I have been looking for a small project and the scrub plane seems perfect. I think I will have to go out and see if the issue is still on the shelf.

I look forward to seeing it!

Sole plate glued on.  I'll trim it down when the glue dries and save the off cut for the wedge.

ddb62f.jpg

This is one smooth looking scrub ;)

Yes, if I reshape the blade the plan calls for, it will indeed be a smoother...  BTW, that's what the title actually calls it..  

Here's one of those palm to face moments  :wacko:

• Like 1

Sounds like a good build challege for weekend warrior magazine!  What do you think James?

It would be a good challenge for the magazine but I am getting ready to shut Weekend Warrior Woodworking Magazine down. I have been sitting on the second issue for about 4 months now. I only have a couple articles and honestly I just don't have the time or resources to keep it going, especially with a second kid on the way.