Finishing a garage shop floor

rodger.

I know lots of people go epoxy coating, but I think I would like to put a floor down in my new, small, shop to help increase comfort level.

I know there are many ways to do this, including delta ms, sleepers and rigid foam, etc.

I plan on leaving the garage door in place for obvious reasons. If I finish the floor in any method that elevates it, how do I prevent/allow for the possibility of rainwater getting in under the garage door, and therefor under the new finished floor?

Just some particulars in case they are relevant. My garage is a single stall, poured concrete slab on grade. It's in excellent condition, and has a relatively minor slope towards the door (prob for drainage). I live in a climate with hot, humid summers, and very cold winters. The garage door is a single stall door, that rolls open/closed.

I just bought anti fatigue mats like tiodos suggested. I got tired of denting my wood and dropped a brand new router bit after one use. That was enough. Bought them from harbor freight they were $10 for like 17 sf. I spent about 200 but well worth it. I just put my garage door down and cut the mats around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought anti fatigue mats like tiodos suggested. I got tired of denting my wood and dropped a brand new router bit after one use. That was enough. Bought them from harbor freight they were $10 for like 17 sf. I spent about 200 but well worth it. I just put my garage door down and cut the mats around it.

Nice. Can u post a pic of your shop floor?

Just to state the obvious - that garage door should close on the original floor.  Your new floor should start inside of the door.  You may want a transition (ramp) to reduce tripping and help with rolling things in and out.

Yup - thanks.

How do you find that the matts respond to vacuuming and general use?

Would rolling a shop vac or single stage DC around on it be difficult?

General use they work well. I use a shop vac on mine it works well with the attachment with the brush on the back. The other attachments seem to pick up the mats. Rolling the vac around is not a problem it doesn't roll as easy as the concrete but not an issue. I haven't had it long enough to recognize any issues yet.

• Like 1