craftsmen table saw model 351worm gear help

duckkisser

first of all don't bother telling me that craftsmen sucks or how I should not have bought it I hate the tool but that is what my classroom uses because it is what we were given.  so please don't waste my time about how the brand sucks.

for some reason the machine wont raise or lower the blade.  I have taken the top section off and can get to the shaft but it does not seem to be catching and I cant get to the gear to clean. I tried to take the shaft out to see if I can clean it but It wont come out. it rotates freely but it wont raise or lower. if anyone is familiar with this machine do you know if there is a way to take the gear shaft out to get to the rest of the gear so I can clean it or replace it if needed.

ok ill take a photo in the morning and then we can go from there.  im afraid the worm gear is striped. unfortantily tim anything we buy has to be bought with a purchase order and it has to come from a company that can take money without with it being non taxable and thinking some guy on craigslist wont cut it.  so its this table saw or nothing. 

Duck...I'm not brand bashing.  My home and my mother-in-law's home is full of nice furniture built by my father-in-law using a Craftsman 10" bought around 1970. All I'm saying is that sometimes parts for the older machines are hard to find and if you find it, something else can break.  Kind of like replacing the compressor on your 20 year old heat pump.  I've found some parts at SearsPartsDirect.com but I realize at this point, you're not sure of the exact problem.  It might be that in 24 hours someone reads this that has had the same problem. It also might be that a week of working on the saw yields nothing good.  I've found a cutter head for my Craftsman 6" jointer on ebay once so also look there if you find that you need parts.  We all respect your requests...we just also sometimes offer other solutions. 

I know it's not that old a saw bought it last year so I can get parts. The problem is that it's a government funded school so there is enough red tape to make a color blind person see red :) so it's a giant pain to get parts for stuff because of all the hoops I have to jump through

I don't like this table saw the riving knife won't stay lined up the blade gap thin so my hand won't fit, the motor and all the gears are pile on top of one another so you can't get to anything without taking it apart. That's why I asked on here in case someone knew a trick for fixing and cleaning on this particular machine.

Well I figured out what is wrong with the machine it has two teeth on the gear broken don't know how but it seems to be missing a c ring or a spring or something. It's apparently keeps the shaft for vibrating and rubbing on the gear teeth.