garage sale finds + I need to learn to sharpen saws

nod

A neighbor who is part hoarder, part seller of all things was having a garage sale. (This is the guy I bought the brand new dovetail saw from for a song a while back) Anyways, picked up a 6' folding rule, nice 6" caliper, and a starret mag base. 

I was feeling lucky, so I swung by this second hand shop and found myself a couple of Disston saws. One I believe is rip, and the other cross cut. I'll have to post pics so someone wiser can tell me what I really have. Plan is to clean them up, and figure out how to sharpen. I acquired a box a couple years ago that has some saw sets in them. Maybe I can put them to use, but will need a decent file. Any suggestions on that front?

plus- anyone know where I can get parts for the mag base? 

post-14137-0-19604600-1405988430_thumb.j

What are your plans for the mag base?

I was hoping to use it with a dial indicator to set up shop machines. I saw that Starrett sells assembled posts and dials, but I might as well buy a whole new setup for those prices. was hoping I could piece something decent together since i only paid $10 for the base. 

Check eBay for stuff like that. Usually have kits for sale. Usually has two or more rods, a couple of clamps for the rods, and a clamp for the indicator.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to figure out what the parts are called first, so I know what to search for, then I can begin the hunt.