Girlfriend's Dining Room Table

minorhero

Hmm my concern with the top was sapwood. I thought if I stained the top it would not be an issue. My girlfriend does not like white or red oak with a clear finish. She likes the color of cherry, walnut, and wenge. So in an attempt to cut costs I was hoping to use cheaper wood for the base and stain to match. Does beach stain well by any chance? If not this may end up being made of solid cherry.

Even sapwood will be discernible under stain unless you, for example, carefully apply a second coat over the sapwood. If that is done, I would use a gel stain as it is more controllable. If I were you I would cut out the sap wood if that is an issue. If I were you, I would stick with a close grained wood for your base, like alder, for example. I think you can't go wrong using no stain and going natural cherry. Use an oil first coat to bring out the richness of the cherry followed by 3-4 coats of a robust topcoat. In a year or so it will look gorgeous after the cherry ages. Speed up the process by taking out to direct sunlight a few days.

Brief update.

Went to the lumber yard today and bought the wood. Then drove about 1.5 hours to the shop where I am going to be building the table with the wood half hanging out of my Subaru Forester ;)

At any rate I got a bunch cherry and one piece of hard maple.

I was going to get 16/4 legs but the lumbar yard guy gave me a deal on on 12/4 so thats what I ended up with for the legs.

Total cost of the wood was only about $270, so it was way cheaper then I thought it would be.

post-171-0-68485300-1406244455_thumb.jpg

So the wood I purchased was kiln dried but stored in a barn. The wood was kept away from the rain and snow, but it was open on 4 sides with lots of ummm... air circulation. The barn was located in Maryland and if you are not familiar with this area, assume high humidity during pretty much any time it is above say 50 degrees F. 

What is the minimal amount of time I should let it sit in a air conditioned shop acclimating before I can begin making my table? What is the optimal amount? Thickest piece is 12/4, thinnest is 5/4.

Any advice would be appreciated.

If it's sat for as long as you've suggested it's pretty well dry so all you're waiting for is for it to reach equilibrium.  I'd *guess a couple days at the least but it certainly shouldn't take more than a week.

If it were any kind of wet I'd think longer but this stuff has had plenty of time to sort that out.

A moisture meter is the only way to know for sure, but:

1) KD lumber does not take on as much moisture as air dried lumber

2) This is for the base, not for the top.  A little movement won't be as noticeable.

If it were me, I'd do some light rough milling right away.  Joint the edges, skip plane both faces, cut to rough length and width.  Leave some extra for your final dimensioning.  Then stack and sticker, put it somewhere with good airflow, and wait a week.   

+1 to both of the above .

Lightly rough mill oversized and sticker then watch for movement. Plus chop a chunk and weigh it. I have a pretty accurate digital scale that wasn't expensive. Record the weight and see if it changes. Scale is also great for counting screws etc. , weigh a few then do the math on the whole box.

• 2 weeks later...

After allowing a couple of weeks for the wood acclimate (and also for my schedule to allow) I got back into the shop yesterday and did the majority of milling needed. 

Unfortunately I discovered why my wood was so cheap. It has a pretty good amount of knots in it for "A" grade lumber. And some of those knots are soft and required digging out. One piece even had some holes in it where bugs or worms got to it, (can't tell if that happened when it was still a tree or not)

So bottom line is the wood has some imperfections. I have about 6" extra to play with, meaning I can take 6" off of the sides and still make my target of a 36" wide table. One side of the boards has very few knots but a lot of sap wood. The other side has more knots but less sapwood. Such that I would probably get rid of all the sapwood on that side if I was willing to have the knots. 

I think I rather have the sapwood. But either way I got to fill the knots. My understanding is the best way to do this is pour epoxy into the knot. Anyone have any suggestions on this or is it really just as simple as pour in epoxy, then wait for it to set?

Here are some pictures of the milled lumber with the last one showing the legs and part of the apron.

post-171-0-96351600-1407671742_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-81041900-1407671752_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-89503800-1407671758_thumb.jpg

It's coming along great!

As for the know holes, I use West Systems epoxy.  Be sure to use tape as a dam on the other side if the knot goes all the way thru.  You will also get some bubbles that form in the epoxy.  A light pass with a torch or heat gun will get rid of the bubbles.  If you have areas that will need a lot of fill, best to do it in thirds allowing the epoxy to cure between pours.

sapwood doesn't bother me.  When you glue up the boards for the top, try to avoid a sapwood to heartwood glue line, the perfectly straight line will look unnatural.   Arrange the boards so your gluelines are either heartwood/heartwood or sap/sap.   

So I got into the shop this past weekend and earlier tonight and a lot of progress got made.

I used a tenon jig and the table saw to cut the tenons for the stretchers and the legs.

r7yLy4w.jpg

After that I used a mortiser to cut the mortises into the legs.

7ULnRrF.jpg

These needed to be cleaned up a bit but that was easily done with a reasonably sharp chisel.

To deal with the knots I used epoxy and black powdered tint. The "black" tint is actually just a very dark green, but when in the knots it looks black. I let the epoxy cure over night and came back earlier today and scraped it flat with a #4 plane. I then cleaned it up further by running it through the planer. This revealed some air bubbles and in a few cases new knots that needed epoxy, so I gave it a "second coat" as it were of epoxy.

235Lp3z.jpg

While dealing with another round of epoxy I went ahead and cut the dados into the stretchers and then it was time for a "dry" assembly.

P5ObFCG.jpg

Qh1tkqR.jpg

I think it is coming along really well. Next up I need to finish with the epoxy and then trim the table top so it is ready for glue-up.

• Like 1

Do you have any concerns about the table being tippy?  I downloaded your stchup and noticed you have 18" of overhang from the edge of the leg to the edge of the table top.

I just finished a kitchen island with very similar leg dimensions and at 10" of overhang I can get it to tip, not easily, but tip non the less.  At 18" it would be very easy.

post-16001-0-97425800-1408122835_thumb.j

I am really not worried about the table being tippy. I am sure if someone put their whole weight on the edge of the table they could get it to tip a bit, but then this is true for  any table that does not put legs at the four corners. The table is pretty long and will be pretty heavy, that will give it a lot of stability. 

The edges have to hang off as much as they do if someone is going to be able to pull a chair up to the ends without running their knees into the base. Looking online at a lot of tables it seems to be a pretty common design.

Small update today. 

Yesterday I discovered the importance of face planing boards. I had in the past gotten away with not worrying about face planing boards on a jointer because I was always making pretty small things and it never much mattered if there was a millimeter of cup to them. With boards over 7 feet long all of a sudden it matters a lot. End result is that there was some twist and cup to my boards that as the glueup approached I realized I could not ignore it any longer.

The shop I am building this table at does have a large jointer but I previously thought I needed special permission to use it. After getting it setup I ran the worst board through for the table top. Bottom line is that my nicve 8/4 top is looking like it started out as a 6/4 top. I am not happy about this but I am chalking it up as an important learning experience. 

In other news I glued up the breadboards last night.

qh6kMnEl.jpg

I always start by rough cutting parts oversized, joint one edge and one face then plane the other face parallel and rip so the edges are parallel . Stack and sticker at least overnight then check to see if it has moved, cupped, twisted etc. Re flatten as needed then proceed.

With some experience you learn how much oversize a rough cut needs to be in order to yield a finished piece the size you need.

Removing material from rough stock can relive stress and expose fresh wood which may be at a higher moisture content. Letting it acclimate overnight (or longer) gives it a chance to stabilize.

Having extra material on hand lets you replace the pieces that keep cupping every time you flatten them. Sometimes this happens so be prepared for it !

What is the bright white layer being glued to the breadboards?

6/4 is still plenty for a tabletop.