Hepplewhite inspired hall table

SeanWalker

Hey guys,

I recently designed and built this Hepplewhite inspired hall table. I really liked the style of that period and wanted to try my hand in some inlay and stringing. Both of which were pretty tough to make look perfect, but I feel like everything came out pretty good. I picked up the drawer pulls on ebay. They are a set of antiques which make the table look better than a newer, shiny set of pulls. Piece was built using some 40 year old cherry I purchased from a guy that found it in a barn. I used Arm-r-seal semi gloss varnish for the finish.

post-6005-0-00333100-1406080529_thumb.jp

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

Looks great.  How did you cut the oval areas for those inlays?

I made a piece of scrap the same size as the inlay piece. I then used a marking knife to outline the scrap piece and then used a router and a 1/4 bit to get as close as i can to the line. I take out the rest with my chisels. It was a lot of trial and error, but they came out alright. One thing I didn't know when dealing with inlays is they are super thin. I sanded through them in one spot, but its not too noticeable. 

• Like 1