baily 5

Tim Kohl

just bought 2 baily #5 one for parts the other for use.  The frog bolt which holds the iron and clamp in place needs work, I cant find the thread count and bolt size so I can purchase die and tap.  Can someone provide info or direct me to this info.

If you aren't concerned about keeping it all original, I recommend upsizing the hole to the closest commonly available screw size. The tote screw in an old Stanly clone I recently repaired was a #12-20, not easily found in your neighborhood hardware store, so I drilled and tapped it for 1/4-20, and now the supply of replacement screws is endless.

• Like 1

after several stops  we found reference to Stanley using a 19/32 -24  thread type.  This is beginning to add up since the screw is larger than 1/4 and smaller than 5/16.  any confirmation on thread size would be appreciated.   pat. date is Apr 19 10.

thx again for input 

You said that you have a second #5, does it have the frog (or do you have another Stanley plane)? If so just go to a machine shop, they can check the thread size in a good tapped hole or off the bolt that goes into it, and depending on the shop, tap the hole for less than the cost of the tap or sell you one; I usually buy the tap or die so I have it on hand for future problems but that's just me.

That was this morning stop (on way to golf course) and we confirmed thread size.  They did not have it but I can buy the tap and die on line.  I do have another plane but the screw had the slot damaged making it not usable. 

On a positive note I have learned allot about planes trying to make this plane usable again.  Again I appreciate the input from the forum.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...