How to get desired finish

Hello everyone -

I came across this beautiful carving, and as I have been carving similar things myself, was curious if anyone could provide any insight as to this stain/finish? I'm new enough where I can't discern just by a picture, but this community has been able to answer any and all questions I've had so far as a beginner, so thanks in advance.post-15602-0-11535400-1406152110_thumb.j

I would agree with Apple Wood.  Either a sprayed lacquer or shellac.  Often small decorative objects are just finished with oil and wax but you will not get that shine from oil and wax alone.

That is probably the natural color of the wood, or maybe the natural color enhanced by a coat of oil.  It does look like there is some "glazing."  Glazing just means rubbing some color into the crevices to give it contrast.  Typically you put on a coat or two of clear finish, then get some pigment stain or even paint, apply to the desired areas (you can use a cloth or brushes), and wipe off while still wet.   The color will stick in the crevices but wipe off the smooth parts.  Then give it another clear coat.    Looking closely at the piece, perhaps a couple different glazing colors were used.  I seem some dark brown/black in the eyes and feathers and a reddish hue in the cheeks.  

To summarize, assuming you are using a wood that is naturally red/brown (mahogany, cherry, several other exotic species), you could achieve something similar by doing the following:

1) oil: after carving and sanding, give it a coat of boiled linseed oil.  Let dry several days.

2) basecoat: spray a coat or two of clear lacquer.  You can get clear lacquer in spray paint style cans in the spray paint section.

3) glaze: use pigment stains, paint, or artists colors to highlight some of the nooks and crannies. 

4) top coat: give it a couple of coats of clear lacquer.

Once it fully dries, you can rub it with very fine steel wood (#0000) and a dark wax to give it a nice smooth finish and further highlight your glazed areas.  Do no use clear or white wax, it will leave a white residue.