Help fix a router table

Fxguy

Hello everyone! 

So my hand held routing is not the greatest and when I when to route the rabbet edge for my router plate insert for my router table I routed the edges a little bit to large and not very straight / even. Fortunately I have a leveling system for it with screws and whatnot from Rockler and the plate sites down into the opening and is pretty flush with the table top so its really a cosmetic thing. 

Is there anyway to fill in the gaps? I was thinking just getting some wood filler and filling it in and painting it black to blend with the table top. The only thing is that I don't know how to fill in the gaps with something without the plate being in place and I want it to dry and still be able to remove the plate when needed. 

Any ideas? 

How big are the gaps, what is the top laminate, wood, melamine? Post a picture. You could square up the opening than glue some stock to the opening and re route the opening there's always a fix it would be easier to help if we had some pictures.

I think I would wrap the plate with plastic and fill with Bondo..

Yep. Plastic wrap beats wax any day. Bondo is awsome stuff. Or just ignore it and move on. It should still function just fine, and now you know the importance of router guides and templates, right? Seriously, this is just a shop jig. Much better to gain the experience here than on the next masterpiece of furniture you attempt.
  • Like 1

TIODS beat me to it.  Wrap the plate with saran wrap (cling film) or wax paper and put it place.  Then use the wood filler of your choice.  Be sure to leave the wrapped plate in place more than long enough for the filler to fully cure.

Some of the best lessons learned ...  Next time you do something similar clamp some sort of straight edge to your surface to run the router against.  You can use something as simple as a pair of clamps as start and stop blocks.  Might take a little longer to set up and to move to each edge but the improved results will prove worth it.

Yep. Plastic wrap beats wax any day. Bondo is awsome stuff. Or just ignore it and move on. It should still function just fine, and now you know the importance of router guides and templates, right? Seriously, this is just a shop jig. Much better to gain the experience here than on the next masterpiece of furniture you attempt.

Yes, I am learning the importance of guides and templates and a good fence..... Even though it is a shop jig, I do want it to look pretty. :-) Should have paid the extra $10 for the Rockler Template... Anyways, I think it will function fine. Now to build a good quality fence to go with it. 

Yes, I am learning the importance of guides and templates and a good fence..... Even though it is a shop jig, I do want it to look pretty. :-) Should have paid the extra $10 for the Rockler Template... Anyways, I think it will function fine. Now to build a good quality fence to go with it. 

Great lesson for everyone.  Great templates are a big part of great projects.