Entertainment center

tdh36185

I have a 15 month old son who likes to turn the tv on and off. He also has quite a collection of books gathering on the floor in my "living room". I decided to put together an entertainment center that would put the tv out of reach of my son, at least for a little while, and provide a place for his books (as well as movies and such). I incorporated a gap in the back of the top shelf for cords to pass through. I inset the back tower panels for installation of a power strip and incorporated a trapezoidal design to improve the stability in spite of curious ambulatory homosapiens. The woods utilized are quarter sawn white oak for stability purposes and hickory as well as oak plywood (3/4 inch). The finish is two coats of "heavy" oil from festool surfix and four coats of garnet shellac.

post-6915-0-66644800-1406177701_thumb.jp

post-6915-0-39053600-1406177713_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I really like the piece, but I'm concerned that a child hanging from the end of that cantilevered shelf might be able to tip the thing.  

Let's see - - your son is 15 months, in probably 2-3 months he will realize you have given him a ladder to climb up to the TV.   :o

I did mount it to the wall for my own piece of mind

I'm breathing a sigh of relief.  Good job all around!

Okay...... Explain to me how you get "asked"!    I never get asked, I'm "told" once, then it's "looks" till it's done.

Well when you take as long as I do to actually complete a project. The tv that I initially designed this entertainment stand for, had to be replaced because it started pixelating.