Need a paint base to draw/paint art atop an MDF bookcase

wouldwurker

I built a little bookcase for my son out of unfinished MDF and domino joinery.  Here's how it started...

Me: Hello Lowes associate, what's a good primer for unfinished MDF

Lowes paint associate: You want bonding primer

Me: Isn't that water based?  Won't it raise the grain?

Lowes paint assoc: Absolute not.  This is exactly what you need

<smash cut to me sanding and cursing for an entire evening>

It wasn't too bad.... but my beading detail looks a bit bumpy.  Not the end of the world.

I read every forum and article about MDF and end grain, primer, etc., so I'm ok there.  Last night I gave a quick spray can coat of Rustolium gloss enamel (that I had lying around) on the bottom (hidden) side, just to see how it looked on the primer, end-grain, etc.  It looks just fine to me, so I think I'm ok in the primed surface department.

I'd like to paint it white, but also I need to draw and paint some art (Dr. Seuss characters) all over it as well. 

I'd appreciate a few recommendations on:

1. A background paint that once dried, will allow me to pencil sketch and paint some art in various places

2. Paint for the actual artwork

3. A clear coat to protect it.

Thanks all

--VJ

If you are willing to work at it a little, home made "chalk paint" has a really nice texture that will take pencil sketches well. Its just a mix of latex paint, water and plaster of paris. Brush or roll it on, but you will need to wet sand it after drying to remove brush marks.

As for painting the characters, artist's acrylics are easy to use and should adhere well. Places like Hobby Lobby or Michael's Crafts should have a good selection. They should also carry a spray 'fixative' product that is basically a clear coat for artwork. Not sure how it would hold up on furniture, but it is very clear, and designed to keep the colors fast.

a9uqe2y7.jpg

Finished the base coat. I'll sketch out the art over time - in the meantime, it needs to be a bookcase...and not another unfinished project in the shop.

It was an interesting experience with MDF. I spent more money on paint than materials. I'll certainly be considering placement/ hiding end grain in future projects (or using plywood).

All domino construction. Beading detail on the edges.

I'll put a poly acrylic coat on the outside after the artwork is added.

(bumping to project showcase)

• 4 weeks later...