Advice needed on what to do with this

DaveT

Ok so I saw an ad on Gumtree '1 ton free Cherry Firewood' and thought - OK, I have an open fire that likes wood, it's 12 miles from me, I'll go for it.

The result:

post-15398-0-80298800-1406236285_thumb.jpost-15398-0-03926000-1406236310_thumb.jpost-15398-0-98815500-1406236351_thumb.j

Now the big lump (trunk) is still to be collected when I find somebody with a trailer that can handle the weight, but it seems a shame to just turn it into firewood.

My thoughts were that it would be of interest to someone that is into turning. Possibly the same with some of the thicker (6" dia) branches. In order to keep these in the best possible condition until I find somebody that wants them what should I do. I'm thinking just seal the ends and keep them under some sort of cover?

So you don't think the trunk section might be of use to a turner then?

No stove Graham, just an open fire. The landlord won't allow me to get one installed. I'm sorted for firewood this winter though with over 2 ton of pine that has been drying since late October. It just seems a shame to burn that big lump. I might have cogitate on perhaps making a garden seat - have to wait until I actually get it here.

It depends on the turner.  Some might say the lower portion of the trunk is fantastic, but the portion slightly below the split/crotch is not worth their effort.  Some others would take the opposite side.

Since my lathe won't handle anything large (benchtop unit), I'd pass on the total trunk, and cut it into three sections: base, crotch, and upper cylinders.  The crotch piece I'd want to have some meat on it so it wouldn't explode when I turn it (should tell you how much my turning skills have deteriorated lately), but I don't know the full sizes of that stump.  If it's as big as I think, I'd say two to three inches below and two to three above would be fine.  (then again, dimensions in photos are not my strong suit.)

If you wanted to save it for someone else to figure out, I'd seal the ends and maybe a little in the crotch, and set it off the ground slightly on it's side like it is in the second photo.  Don't be surprised if you have to hold on it for a while: set a deadline for when you want a decision, and if nobody claims/tries within that timeframe, break out the wedges and mallet.

*** Edit: checking the first photo, I'd say it's larger than I thought.... make that four inches below and above.  Bottom should be slightly below the visible edge of the join between the two branches, top would be where it's safe to get a saw in between the branches.  SHould still give a bottom "butt" with about 5-6 inches worth of material to turn.

• Like 1

Thanks for that jHop. The base is about 15-18" diameter.

I've given my local sawmill a call to see if they are interested in it (they get a lot of turners visiting) and am waiting to hear back. My problem is that it is just too big for me to be able to move so I would need to hire someone. If I can 'donate' it to the sawmill then hopefully I'll get a nice price next time I want some wood :)

In the pictures, it just doesn't look that big.  Can you set something next to it for reference and snag another pic?

Initially, I was with Graham on this one but.....

Based off the size of the chicken wire in the first photo, I'm putting the estimated size around 24-28" long.  (Again, my skills determining dimensions by photos are off.... never learned that skill of enlarging or reducing by drawing the grid on the artwork.)

Tiods - I can't get there at the moment as I'm a bit busy but the two main forks that came from it are 6" and 7" diameters.

jHop - I agree, it is about 2-2.5ft long (and seriously heavy).

Indy Cindy - my thoughts exactly. I really dont like the idea of burning it if there is something there that a turner can enjoy. I've tried looking for turners around here but no joy so far. Need to brush up on my googling skills I think.

I grabbed a crotch log of Bradford Pear from the curb on my street last night. I also just wang to play. I want to section some small slabs and tinker with air drying. I have read about what will happen but feel the need to experience it. I don't consider it a waste if I can learn something. I will burn wood, but that is pleasure and not learning:-)