Ebony inlay

jpf1182

I want to do a simple banding inlay on a table top ( about 1/8 inch wide) and want it to be as black as possible.  Ebony is my first choice but the cost is a detractor.  Ebonizing mahogany won't work because the color change is very superficial.  Wenge is a great color but I think it would be too difficult to cut it into such thin banding strips.  Anyone have any suggestions?   Thanks.

Depending on the size of the banding. I've had great luck dying epoxy and pouring it into a small channel, or groove. You can dye it almost any color (in your case, black), and you can dye it with almost any kind of dye, even foot coloring or I've even dissolved coffee grounds. It ends up looking like plastic, and is extremely stable. The nice part is that it couldn't be easier to do.

It doesn't work as well for thick bands, but for "pin-striping" it works perfectly. Also, I seem to remember a Wood Magazine article covering how to do the process. In lieu of that check out Marc's video on filling knot holes. The process is similar.