Staining quandry

delegante

I'm building new cabinet doors for the kitchen, also drawer fronts and the upper cabinets. I'm doing them in maple and using a general finishes oil stain, candle light. I've attached several pictures of spots that are showing up in the finish. I'm doing two coats of stain with 24 hours of dry time between coats. The spots were not there after the first coat but were after I attempted to wipe off the excess on the second coat. They disturbingly look like finger sized smudges. I'm wearing blue nitrile gloves as I wipe on and off the stain and it is possible I'm laying a finger on the board there but I'm not understanding why it isn't happening everywhere I touch and if it is possible to sand/restain.

The middle panel is 1/4" mdf with maple veneer. I'm sanding the entire door to 120 grit.

I also attached a pic of a door that doesn't seem to be having any problem.

post-3459-0-35266600-1406399062_thumb.jp

post-3459-0-06891700-1406399092_thumb.jp

post-3459-0-89202100-1406399109_thumb.jp

post-3459-0-74730700-1406399128_thumb.jp

I've had some success spot sanding smudges (150), applying a slightly darker stain (qtip), waiting 15-20 min. and then giving the whole surface a quick rub with the primary stain to blend. Start with the smudge on the end of the right board in pic 3 to see if the stain penetrates.

• Like 1

Definitely looks like contamination. Contamination prevented stain from adhering or penetrating those areas. Were there any glue drips that you wiped up? Maple is prone to blotching so a blotch control may help. One trick is to apply a wipe coat of GF gel varnish just before wiping on the gel stain.

I just completed mother-in-laws kitchen in cherry and used GF gel stain as well. My finishing schedule was:

1. Sand thoroughly to 220

2. Two coats of Charles Neil blotch control, light sanding with 320 after each coat.

3. one coat of GF gel stain.

4. Three coats of GF Enduro-var with light sanding with 400 after first two coats. Sprayed the top coats but this stuff can be brushed on quite successfully. I use foam brushes.

No expert in repair fixes however careful application with another coat of stain over the offending area as previously suggested could work. Fortunately you are using fell stain which is easier to control.