opinions on marking gauge types

Dan S

27 members have voted

1. 1. What type of marking gauge do you think works best?

• Pin
    • wheel
    • knife

I have and still use all three types the pin marking guage is good for certain things like my mortice guage. I use the cutting (knife) guage for a lot more than I realized until recently, but I have to say the Veritas fine adjusting wheel guage is definitely my favourite. Remember it is not supposed to revolve, and if kept sharp will not crush even the softest wood. Mind you I almost never use soft woods.

Pete

I was thinking a spear point knife would be the best of both worlds, as you could start in an exact location with the tip (like a pin), and then role more on the side for a slicing action (like a wheel). Does anyone sell knife blades? It seems to me the hardest part would be making the actual blade, because it's so small.

• 5 weeks later...

Wheel gauges are nice - I have two - but I find that a knife gauge makes a deeper cut which is easier to see especially when planing to thickness. It also provides more registration for a chisel, etc. I guess my choice is dependant on how deep I want the line to be. I find the wheel gauges a little bit easier to use. When I use th knife gauge for a deep mark, I usually want to clamp the workpiece to the bench.