toddler bed?

Has anyone out there made a toddler bed? The wife has requested a transition to a toddler bed. I have a shiny new domino so I think I can knock it together pretty quickly.   :)

Just need some ideas / pictures. Anyone made a nice simple bed? I've got a bunch of cherry and ash laying around the shop.

Of course I also have a few pallets laying around so I could probably knock this one out ;-)pallet-toddler-bed.jpg

Don't do pallets; that is just wrong.

A toddle bed is little more than a crib with shorter side rails. This, in turn, is just an open-topped box. Since it would probably still be small enough to move through doorways in one piece, there should be no real need for complicated knock-down construction. Use that new black and green toy for all its worth, and you'll have a great piece put together in no time!

Hey, the pallet bed is cute, probably a cheap way to go too....no sharp edges though. round over everything....like the picture you posted, I'd put a top rail at least on the front in case he climbs out over the side...all smooth edges is what I'm driving at. Everything planed really smooth too. Research the finishes to use.

Don't misunderstand my negative comment about using pallets. I don't mean to imply that pallets furniture is poor quality or ugly. However, pallets can be exposed to many things (chemicals and such) that you wouldn't want your kid exposed to while they sleep. Unless you can verify the wood is clean, I say avoid it for this application. Personally, I wouldn't consider even 100% coverage in multiple coats of poly to be enough barrier for safety where a small child is involved. They ALWAYS find a way to get to where they shouldn't!

• Like 2

Don't misunderstand my negative comment about using pallets. I don't mean to imply that pallets furniture is poor quality or ugly. However, pallets can be exposed to many things (chemicals and such) that you wouldn't want your kid exposed to while they sleep. Unless you can verify the wood is clean, I say avoid it for this application. Personally, I wouldn't consider even 100% coverage in multiple coats of poly to be enough barrier for safety where a small child is involved. They ALWAYS find a way to get to where they shouldn't!

That was my first thought as well when I saw the pallet wood bed.

Is the crib you have convertable?  We were given a convertable crib, but rather than pay for the toddler bed kit I just made it since I was able to purchase matching stain.  I intend to make the full bed kit, too, once it is needed. 

It'd be quicker and easier than building the whole toddler bed, especially with as short a time as they use one.