Wet stone buying

duckkisser

Need to buy a wet stone set was going to get a full set of stones 220-8000 but i can buy the half stones like 4000/8000 for 125.00 or I can buy 4 individual stones for 200. My question is will the half stones wear out too fast or would I better off buying the full stones. I also use a stroping wheel to sharpen my tools so can I skip a stone like 8000.

Buy the stones that you want to use and can afford. You have to live with them. For myself, a set is better - 1000/6000/13000. The 13k is actually a combination 1200/13000, and I found it a pain to turn, clean, turn, clean. Now it is only used on the one side.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have a combo stone.  I'm glad I only have one.  I'd never buy another one.  It's not so much about the stone lasting, but dealing with swapping sides turns out to be more trouble than it's worth.

I used oil stones only for decades.  Some years ago, I bought Norton 1,000 and a 4,000/8000 just to see how I would like water stones.  I rarely ever use the 4,000 except for polishing chisel and iron backs. The 8,000 side gets used a lot.  I use them all the time, and they still have lots of life left in them.  They flatten easily on a granite surface plate with good quality wet-or-dry paper.

Picture is current honing setup in a house we're working on.  Running water is hard to beat.  The 9x12 granite surface plate is surprisingly stable there.  It has Diamond Lapping Film on it, and the water stones are just placed on top of the surface plate.

post-14184-0-78140400-1406568190_thumb.j

• Like 1

Tom

I'm looking for something to sharpen my carving knives and gouges more then my chisles....which will be sharpened as well just not as much.

So your saying I can stay away from the 4000 and 8000 grit stones since I use a stroping wheel to hone and polish the blade to a sharp edge. So maybe get a 220 for shaping then get a 1000 for sharpening and then go to a strop to polish my edge? Or will I need higher grits for shaping my chisles.

I guess I wasn't clear.  The 8,000 side gets used all the time.  More times than not, it's the only thing that gets used.  I wouldn't want to be without the 8,000.  It's very fast to a shaving edge.   The 4,000 is only used to remove the 1,000 scratches when polishing a back.   I "strop" with the diamond lapping film.

think im going to pass on the wet stone buying instead im going to get myself a new bench grinder for 110$ (including shiping)  woodcraft has a deal on their slow speed grinder.  my grinder has way too much vibration it tosses my tools around on the wheel so im unhappy with that, also it is way too fast and i cant get a very deep grind on it the motor gets in the way too much it looks like the rikon motor is small so it wont stick out that far.  so if i buy this i can sharpen my turning tools, carving tools and chisels on one machine wont need to get any wet stones, sandpaper ect..... .  the rikon grinder also come with a 150 grit white wheel so i figure i can sharpen on that then use my second grinder with a combination of a cardboard wheel to hone my tools to razor sharp.  that is what i have been doing but without a slow speed grinder to clean up any nicks in the edge like i have now.  

then ill convert my old grinder into a buffing machine for cleaning up the burrs on my tools. or just use it for rough shaping and not for sharpening at all. 

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2085963/43773/rikon-8in-slow-speed-grinder.aspx

doubt it, this is a really cheap grinder I bought at menards for like 30 bucks.  its good for shaping but not for or any kind of finesse. its just too sloppy.  so im thinking ill add an extension to the motor and turn it into a buffer or something like that.   

found this guy who is showing his opinion of the new machine and he just set it on his lathe and turned it on and it didn't move at all, my grinder makes the table vibrate all over the place.  and the other reviews make it sound like a decent little grinder. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0nNU6c48Pg