Is it possible to repair?

chrisphr

Kitchen cabinets have taken a beating, maybe should be replaced or resurfaced but plan on moving within a couple years so would rather not spend money on them. While learning woodworking, I now understand that lacquer finish can be prepared. How can I tell if finish is lacquer? Do you think I have a shot at doing a possible repair? Anyone know a good learning resource for this?

Thanks!post-14334-0-22796200-1406483152_thumb.j

If it is nitrocellulose or a similar laquer get some nitro thinner and test a small unobtrusive area. If it is then it should melt with the application of solvent. I've not come across commercially made kitchen cabinets that are laquered with nitro as it crazes in time but I may be wrong. It might just be poly in which case don't worry about it. If you can put up with the scratches for a couple of years chances are the next owner of the house will tear them out anyway and replace with new.

If you want to hide the scratches then get a colour matched wax stick and rub it into the scratches.