Push Stick thought.

lavenderallen89

I'm new to woodworking, Ive spent much time in the recent past looking up all kinds of wood working videos, and recently got my first table saw.  And maybe this is a silly question, but I was starting to make my own push stick. I had a thought, I never saw any videos about adding sandpaper to the bottom of the push stick. To me it seems like it could give you more control over the stock. However, I am new so I figured I'd bring the question to the forums. Is this a bad or good idea and why or why not? 

I waffle on this topic. Sand paper is great on surfaces it imprints with, but WTN has it right about what that imprinting can do. For harder surfaces, the paper actually puts less material in contact with the product and can lessen the frictional coefficient. I prefer the "heel" already mentioned or a rubberized type surface to sandpaper.

I'm a big fan of push BLOCKS, instead of sticks.   You can make 50 of them from MDF or 3/4" plywood in an hour... 

Each one is simply a rectangle, ~ 12" long x 6"high, with a 1/2" notch cut out of 11" of the bottom.  This leaves a 1/2" high by 1" wide tab that pushes the stock.  the other 11" of the notch holds the stock down.  Like this, except without the curve:  99928490_04.jpg

The best part of these is that you can also do narrow rips, as the devices are so cheap and fast to make, you let the blade cut right through the tab.   You can use templates, add curves, etc...  but I like making furniture and cabinets better than push blocks, so I leave them rectangular.

The less time and money you spend on consumable safety devices, like push devices, the less likely you'll be to try to "save" it if the blade is about to cut it, and possibly create an unsafe situation.  If it gets in the way, cut it, then toss it guilt-free.

• Like 1

I have a small plastic one I picked up somewhere and use it most of the time. The other one that I also use often, I made from the Shop Notes magazine - 2 pieces of 1/2" ply, sandwiched together with a sacrificial heel.  I haven't had any real problems with slippage but the mouse pad addition sounds good...that is until I can spring for a gripper!