Floating Tob Bench (inspired by Matt Downer)

pdjms1

@wtnhighlander  She sent a very nice note thanking me for the hard work and my wife for letting me spend so much time in the shop (garage) lol.  Then they asked me to do a entry table for them once I worked through my wives honey do list.  The really cool thing that I didn't realize is he is apparently a pretty accomplished modern art painter who has had work displayed at the Dallas modern art museum.  I suppose i should consider this a bigger compliment to the design then just some random guy who liked my stuff but I was just happy that someone appreciated my design enough to want to buy it. 

@ Mark Ruggles considering i had about $150 in materials I quoted $1200 which I considered high for a bench from an unknown woodworker.  This was my first "commissioned" job. 

I don't subscribe to any WW magazines (said after looking over both shoulders sheepishly)... I keep meaning to but never get around to it... I can tell you how I did it...

1.) Glued the curly maple boards together after milling

2.) Made a template out of MDF using the bandsaw and then finessing the curves on the Oscillating spindle sander and finally with a sand sanding plank

3.) Clamp the template to the bench top and route out the shape

4.) make sure the bent lamination (not sure what else to call it) components are the same thickness as the router bit or it can cause a misalignment.  

5.) glue it all back together but make sure that you created cauls with spaces cut out to allow for the raised portion of the "lamination" and avoid interferance 

Hope that helps and I am curious if that is the same method they described or if there is an easier way to do it. 

Thanks

I don't subscribe to any WW magazines (said after looking over both shoulders sheepishly)... I keep meaning to but never get around to it... I can tell you how I did it...

1.) Glued the curly maple boards together after milling

2.) Made a template out of MDF using the bandsaw and then finessing the curves on the Oscillating spindle sander and finally with a sand sanding plank

3.) Clamp the template to the bench top and route out the shape

4.) make sure the bent lamination (not sure what else to call it) components are the same thickness as the router bit or it can cause a misalignment.  

5.) glue it all back together but make sure that you created cauls with spaces cut out to allow for the raised portion of the "lamination" and avoid interferance 

Hope that helps and I am curious if that is the same method they described or if there is an easier way to do it. 

Thanks

That's the same method - essentially. Well done.

For what its worth, I wouldn't consider that price absurdly high at all.  It is a beautiful piece that you spent many hours working on, done in a very quick time frame.  It is all to easy to sell ourselves short when pricing to compete with Ikea and Walmart.  

Hey Mike you make some excellent points… guess its one of those things that I would have been doing without him paying me and its not by any means a source of income for me… although when i retire in 2045 I might consider it as my retirement job ;).  Thank you for the kind words of encouragement

woodieboy, admired no, laughed at yes (event a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again. lol) but thank you for the compliments!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Matt, 

My statement about the price being a lot was because it was from an unknown woodworker (me) and was in no way intended to be a dig at your pricing.  Your prices are higher then I would feel comfortable with charging for my work at this point but I don't feel as though it is absurdly high for one of your pieces that are recognized as art. I suppose at this point I consider mine (for now at least) to be just a bench with a nifty design.  Perhaps in the future this will change if I develop a reputation for good work and design but I suppose I just didn't see that much value in what I brought to the table at the time I was quoting this price.  I can see how my original comment could give you the impression that I thought your prices were "absurd" and if I left you with that impression I apologize it was not my intent.  I truly respect your design, quality, craftsmanship, and now your maturity in dealing with what could have easily been something others would have "flamed" me for.  

I do agree artists as a whole are bad about undervaluing our work because we love what we do and it almost feels like cheating to get paid for it at times.  However, it is important to remember that there is an opportunity cost to spending hours in our shops and we should be compensated for spending time away from our families, or other activities/projects we enjoy.

I know many gallery arrangements are a result of cultivating personal relationships among other things but would you be willing in another thread to discuss some "best practices" you have found for wood workers who are trying to get into their local galleries?  

Finally, just saw your video for the cantilevered dining table and I always love watching an artist/craftsman in their element! 

Thanks again