Inner diameter of 1/2" router collet?

brady

It should be exactly (or very close to) 1/2", right? I'm battling with a couple of collets from Bosch that they say are 1/2", but appear to be too small.

I got a great deal on a used Freud FT3000VCE (3.25 HP) and Freud router table, however, the seller only had the 1/4" collet, but he had all of the manuals. So I dug out the parts list, found the part # for the 1/2" collet and called Freud. They apparently got out of the router game so they passed me on to Bosch who handles their router parts now. I gave them the Freud part #, my payment info, and they shipped it out.

I received it and tried to fit a 1/2" bit into the collet and it would barely budge without more force than I was willing to apply. So I grabbed my digital calipers and measured the inner diameter - came to 12 mm almost on the nose (for reference 1/2" is 12.7 mm). Turns out there are 12 mm collets and bits, so I called back Bosch and told them they sent me the wrong size. They insisted they don't carry any 12 mm collets of any size, so it must just be a bad part. So they sent another. Just received it and the second one is exactly 12 mm as well.

I also have a Bosch router with a 1/2" collet that works great. So I measure that, and what do ya know - almost 1/2" on the nose.

I'm not losing my mind, am I? I think Bosch has some 12 mm collets and they aren't aware of it. To be fair there is not a 12 mm collet on my parts list, but I would imagine Freud, being a Canadian company, would have had metric collets. I'm going to call back Bosch in the morning, but I'm afraid I won't get anywhere with them. Any other options I might have? So far I really like the router and it's a beast, but 3 HP isn't much use unless I can use some big panel raising or tongue and groove bits on it.

That sounds too small to me. I had a Milwaukee router that the collets were so tight that the bit would usually have to be beaten and twisted out with vice grips. Maybe it was a 12mm.

I have never seen a 12mm router bit, oddball 3/8" now and then maybe. I have a machine that uses a 13mm shank bit that looks like a router bit, but it's a Ballestrini Micron mortiser.

Steve

I ended up finding someone else who sells this collet - www.routerbitworld.com

I called them up, explained my situation and the gentleman measured the collet they carry for me while I was on the phone. Came out to 12.7 mm so I ordered one from him.

Even in the UK a 1/2" collet is 12.7mm inside diameter. Never heard of a 12mm shank. I have 8mm shanks on some router bits and a corresponding collet but 12mm is a new one on me.

Edit

Just looked on Trend-UK website and found they stock 12mm shank router bits. Also found a Bosch router with a 12mm collet so they must have sneaked them in while I wasn't looking. Long live imperial sizes I say :lol: .

• 2 weeks later...

Even in the UK a 1/2" collet is 12.7mm inside diameter. Never heard of a 12mm shank. I have 8mm shanks on some router bits and a corresponding collet but 12mm is a new one on me.

Edit

Just looked on Trend-UK website and found they stock 12mm shank router bits. Also found a Bosch router with a 12mm collet so they must have sneaked them in while I wasn't looking. Long live imperial sizes I say :lol: .

countries that use metric that have been to the moon - 0. countries that use imperial that have been to the moon - 1 :ph34r: