DVD received in mail

bfiedler

I found a package in my mail today from a certain guild organization (not TWW). I did not order it, and am not a member of theirs. The letter included is saying they are offering to sell me the included DVD at a discounted rate. The FTC law states that legally it's free, because I did not order it. Has anybody else had this happen?

Yes. They kept sending me letters saying that I either need to send the DVD back or pay for it. Then later in the letter it said that I was not obligated to buy the DVD because I didn't order it and it could be considered a gift. They eventually stopped sending me letters and I still have the DVD. Didn't pay a cent but was very displeased with this tactic.

I received the same DVD and letters.  The original letter said that since it was unsolicited that I was not required to do anything.  I ignored any request to send the DVD back or send them money.  I wasn't real happy with the tone of the follow-up letters saying that I owed them money for something that I didn't order.  They eventually stopped sending me letters.

Keep in mind that these days, buying a woodworking-related tool online is about all you need to do to wind up on some "woodworking" marketing list.

As for our lists at TWW, we have never and will never sell our lists to anyone for any reason and we continue to turn down offers to utilize our lists for outside advertising. 

• Like 1

Same here...got the DVD, even watched it, then tossed that garbage in the garbage.  You have no legal obligation to pay someone for unsolicited goods.  And their tactics are a huge turnoff.  I wouldn't buy anything from them simply because of that even if I were inclined to do so.

• Like 1

On a similar note, I keep seeing a facebook solicitation to join some group.... the profile picture is of a hand pushing a small board through a tablesaw.... about 3" away from the hand being cut in half?  Have you guys seen that one?  A great way to attract new members... with a photo clearly taken by someone who does not actually use a tablesaw. 

Keep in mind that these days, buying a woodworking-related tool online is about all you need to do to wind up on some "woodworking" marketing list.

As for our lists at TWW, we have never and will never sell our lists to anyone for any reason and we continue to turn down offers to utilize our lists for outside advertising. 

Bless you my child :D

I have to admit, I am watching it now. I have learned a few things from it, but I have to inject pure caffeine into my arm to stay awake.

As far as something else on it, I am a broadcast tv engineer by trade. I'm fairly certain it's safe.

Marc, Thanks for that comment. I haven't purchased any woodworking stuff online, besides you and Popular Woodworking. I've only been into this as a hobby for a few months. I assumed it was the magazine not you. Which doesn't make me very happy.

On a similar note, I keep seeing a facebook solicitation to join some group.... the profile picture is of a hand pushing a small board through a tablesaw.... about 3" away from the hand being cut in half?  Have you guys seen that one?  A great way to attract new members... with a photo clearly taken by someone who does not actually use a tablesaw. 

Are you referring to those pesky ads for lawyers wanting to sue table saw manufacturers?  The pics for those often show poor practice as well.