Verb vs Noun

Tpt life

I grew up in NYC, but I've started using y'all when I need to distinguish between 2nd person singular and plural. Nothing wrong with "y'all".  Just 'cause it's regional doesn't make it wrong.

Some people say "yous" for plural "you".  Every time they do, somewhere a kitten dies.

• Like 1

In my area of England (Manchester) we would say "you's lot" and "what do you want on yer butty?" - must be a lot of people originating from Manchester in Chicago  :D

Here is a Manc dictionary for you - it may look like a foreign language (it does to me even though I was born here) but a lot of people use these words/phrases

Note a lot of words have their first letters dropped in pronunciation so "hard" becomes "ard" for instance.

- enjoy

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/mancunian-sayings-guide-common-words-6465030

Missouri:

Y'all...If you say "you'ns," you likely live in a trailer and have no teeth.

A long sandwich is a sub.  A hoagie is a type of bread...a small loaf or an elongated roll.  Even the best sandwiches I've ever had I wouldn't classify as heroic.  (I'm aware...at least I'm under the assumption, that "hero" is a bastardization of "gyro," so no history lesson required.)

Also - and I know we've covered this before - but it's worth repeating: "Pop" is what happens when you stick a needle in a balloon.  A sugary, carbonated beverage is called a SODA.  Y'all are some weirdos.

-->Also - and I know we've covered this before - but it's worth repeating: "Pop" is what happens when you stick a needle in a balloon.  A sugary, carbonated beverage is called a SODA.  Y'all are some weirdos.

Being from Chicago I should disagree, but I can't.  After living in other parts of the country, I realize you sound like a moron when you ask for a pop.  Almost as bad as in the south, where there call everything coke.  "I'll have a coke"  "What flavor"  "Sprite."

Speaking of soda, I love going to London and ordering a coke.  It will always come luke warm so I ask for ice and receive one cube.  Modern refrigeration is still a luxury over there it seems.  

(I'm aware...at least I'm under the assumption, that "hero" is a bastardization of "gyro," so no history lesson required.)

I was ordering heros before I could read, and I first encountered a gyro when I was in college.  I had always been told that the sandwich was called a hero because it was it was so much bigger and better than a regular sandwich.

"Hoagie" is local to Philly; I'm told it has to do with the shipyards on Hog Island.

I recently had a Philly Cheesesteak at Penn Station East Coast Subs

Wow!  I usually avoid any cheesesteak called a "Philly Cheesesteak".  If I'm far enough from Philly that they have to specify, then they (usually) don't know how to make one.  It's got to be prepared and eaten fresh - straight from the griddle to your hand.  

Wow!  I usually avoid any cheesesteak called a "Philly Cheesesteak".  If I'm far enough from Philly that they have to specify, then they (usually) don't know how to make one.  It's got to be prepared and eaten fresh - straight from the griddle to your hand.  

It is freshly prepared straight from the griddle to my hand. Ya gotta wait while they make it and it is the specialty of that place.

I was ordering heros before I could read, and I first encountered a gyro when I was in college.  I had always been told that the sandwich was called a hero because it was it was so much bigger and better than a regular sandwich.

"Hoagie" is local to Philly; I'm told it has to do with the shipyards on Hog Island.

Even in Trenton, we called them Hogies. I think Trenton sways more Philly than it does NY. 

Advise is a verb

Advice is a noun

Good natured ribbing, I still like ya'll!

I am curious, seems like an inside joke I am missing.  Was their a misuse of the word that you are advicing on?

Missouri:

Y'all...If you say "you'ns," you likely live in a trailer and have no teeth.

A long sandwich is a sub. A hoagie is a type of bread...a small loaf or an elongated roll. Even the best sandwiches I've ever had I wouldn't classify as heroic. (I'm aware...at least I'm under the assumption, that "hero" is a bastardization of "gyro," so no history lesson required.)

Also - and I know we've covered this before - but it's worth repeating: "Pop" is what happens when you stick a needle in a balloon. A sugary, carbonated beverage is called a SODA. Y'all are some weirdos.

No, sweet carbonated beverages are 'Coke', no matter what flavor. To the previous generation, it was 'Co-Coler'.
  • Like 1