Fly fishing boat net

Nick2cd

I recently made this net for a buddy of mine who lives in colorado.  He has a drift boat and does a pretty good bit of fly fishing.  The net is made using a bent lamination technique with a combination of walnut and cherry.  i went with a black silicone net bag.  I carved a fish tail into the end of the handle (with my dental drill).  

photo5_zps371b4a5e.jpg

photo3_zpscc06daf2.jpg

photo4_zps4257de68.jpg

photo2_zps663589e5.jpg

photo1_zps05385154.jpg

thanks for looking

• Like 1

Well done, sir.  Nice pot plant, too.  A friend of mine is a guide and has a Clacka...drift boats are so much awesome to fish in.

hahhaaa, that's a japanese maple behind the net.  i'd love to have a clacka craft or a hyde or better yet, just a place to use them.

Pot, nice maple. Oh, the net is very nice also. How do you go about securing the bag to the frame?

i drilled a series of holes at 1.5" increments around the perimeter of the frame.  the bag is secured with nylon cord that is sewn in and out of said holes.

• Like 1

hahhaaa, that's a japanese maple behind the net.  i'd love to have a clacka craft or a hyde or better yet, just a place to use them.

We have a million small streams and creeks in the Ozarks...many of them are too small for a drift boat but some are perfect...North Fork of the White River and the White River itself and a number of others.  A drift boat is a total game changer when it comes to fly fishing the bigger and faster streams.  You get to hit all those spots that waders can't get to...and therefore all the bigger, smarter fish.  A good guide can sit dead still in churning rapids with little effort and let you hammer those nooks and crannies where the monsters live.  It's a blast.  The downside: once you fish in a drift boat you never wanna wade again. :blink:  Sounds like you've had time in one.

My yard is filled with Japanese maples of several varieties...I was just messin'. :)