Rikon slow speed grinder

duckkisser

Woodcraft has there rikon 8" slow speed grinder for sale for 100 dollars. I was wondering if anyone has one and what they thought of it. From a few videos I have seen it seems to run realy smooth my current grinder is a bulky 6" machine that is super cheap and vibrates like crazy. So thought I would update to a better grinder.

I was going to buy a pair of wheels for 30 dollars each so I can spend 60 and get good wheels for very poor 6" grinder or I can get this 8" grinder with the wheels for 100.

Sadly the old grinder I took the wheels off and it still vibrates when the machine turns on with or without the wheels. It was super cheap motor paid like 30 bucks at the store. Needed something at the time to rough out some metal and ended up using it for sharpening which is only mediocre tool for sharpening.

Just got this grinder runs great no vibrations sharpens without heating too much. Got warm but I didn't over heat the metal even after holding it on the steel for several min. I just set it on my bench turned it on didn't even realize I left it on.

Woodcraft used to have a slows speed grinder under their own brand (I think, too hot to go out and look) which I have, The Ricon appears identical to it, other than the labeling.  It's perfectly adequate for sharpening, I've had no problems with it, still using the stock wheels... 99 bucks is a good deal for it IMO, I think I paid a little less a few years ago on sale, but that was a few years ago...