Refinishing Walnut Cabinet

redhairedmaiden

A beautiful walnut cabinet was given to us, for free, but it smells so badly of cigarette smoke I get the impression I should refinish it to seal in the smell and saving my nose/head from attack each time I walk by. I have never refinished anything and have a few questions:

First information on the piece:

1. The piece is a china cabinet. Made of walnut with the backer board and bottom of the inside cabinet probably a cheaper wood. EDIT: I forgot to mention that I did a test with denatured alcohol which did not get tacky, so I do not think the original finish is a shellac.  

1.5. This piece was in a smoker's household for at least 20 years.

2. Use: China cabinet, storing cookbooks, and a few smaller kitchen appliances. This will not need to stand up to a lot of abuse like a table would... unless I have kids, but nothing is safe then anyway. ;)

3. Climate: I live in MN so it can get a little humid and temperature can be at either end of the scale, but it will be inside and we have central air.  

EDIT: I already tried, Murphy's oil, a vinegar wash, baking soda, and an orange oil cleaner. I will try mineral spirits, but it that doesn't work...

Questions:

1. Is shellac the best option for sealing in an odor?

2. Do I need to fully strip the piece to the bare wood to refinish the piece?

3. What product is the easiest to use while still producing a nice finish?   

Thank you for any and all help! 

post-15946-0-31994700-1407008909_thumb.j

post-15946-0-93778600-1407008909_thumb.j

post-15946-0-37387100-1407008910_thumb.j

1) I strongly recommend trying to hire a fire restoration contractor to ozone tent the item. Worlds of good can happen and can preserve historic character.

2) I have experimented with shellac since it was recommended to me for this purpose and it has worked quite well.

3) Stripping can depend on the finish used. Finish assessment typically involves testing hidden areas to see what solvent will soften the finish.

Try cleaning it with Murphy's Oil soap and an old towel . Rinse the towel in a bucket of warm water and Murphy's , wring it out and rub. Don't get the cabinet very wet and then wipe with a clean damp towel to rinse. You could also try wiping it down with mineral spirits/ paint thinner. You should do this outside for ventilation.

After cleaning let it dry for a day or 2 then think about refinishing if it still smells.

I can look into the price of a professional, but I have a feeling it's over budget. 

I do not think the original finish is a shellac as I did a denatured alcohol test. 

1) I strongly recommend trying to hire a fire restoration contractor to ozone tent the item. Worlds of good can happen and can preserve historic character.

2) I have experimented with shellac since it was recommended to me for this purpose and it has worked quite well.

3) Stripping can depend on the finish used. Finish assessment typically involves testing hidden areas to see what solvent will soften the finish.

Tried Murphy's and a bunch of other things with little change in the smell. This piece was in a smokers household for over 20 years.

I will try mineral spirits. Thank you.

Try cleaning it with Murphy's Oil soap and an old towel . Rinse the towel in a bucket of warm water and Murphy's , wring it out and rub. Don't get the cabinet very wet and then wipe with a clean damp towel to rinse. You could also try wiping it down with mineral spirits/ paint thinner. You should do this outside for ventilation.
After cleaning let it dry for a day or 2 then think about refinishing if it still smells.

If it's not shellac on the piece then after the mineral spirits dries give it a wipe down with denatured alcohol and put a coat of shellac on it. Shellac is a great barrier coat to keep stains from bleeding through a finish. It's used on water marks from roof leaks which can contain traces of asphalt. The tar from tobacco can't be that much different.

Can't hurt , isn't hard to do, just might work. Even if it doesn't do the job completely you would be ready for a coat of polyurethane.

Thank you, I will try that! 

If it's not shellac on the piece then after the mineral spirits dries give it a wipe down with denatured alcohol and put a coat of shellac on it. Shellac is a great barrier coat to keep stains from bleeding through a finish. It's used on water marks from roof leaks which can contain traces of asphalt. The tar from tobacco can't be that much different.
Can't hurt , isn't hard to do, just might work. Even if it doesn't do the job completely you would be ready for a coat of polyurethane.

To seal in the smoke odors, be sure to shellac every surface, even under the bottom and inside any drawers and casework. Any parts that can be removed easily ( door pulls, hinges, etc...) should be removed and sealed under. Fortunately, shellac can be applied using a variety of methods that can create a nice smooth barrier coat without building up so much film that it detracts from the appearance. My favorite is to use Bullseye seal coat and a rolled up t-shirt rag. Dip the rag in denatured alcohol, then into the shellac, and rub into the surface like waxing a car. If it starts to drag, time to soak in more alcohol. No runs, no drips, no errors. 2 to 3 coats will probably work for this application. You can apply poly over the shellac if so inclined.

• Like 1