Putting Lipstick on a Pig...

friscomike

Howdy,

The legs were planed, jointed, and glued this afternoon.  I had one heck of a time keeping them in alignment during the clamping.  I tried the pin cut off trick, but it didn't seem to help.  Maybe I should have driven them deeper into the wood.  Anyway, I finally managed to get them into alignment...mostly.  There has to be a trick  to this that I haven't heard about.

Back to making sawdust,

mike

Howdy,

Not the easiest nor the cleanest glue-up I've ever done, but it will work.  The three piece legs are now glued, planed, and jointed.  They should work well being three times as large as the old legs.  The old legs were re-purposed to double the spreader thickness. You can see the spreaders with the new legs laid out on the assembly table in the attached photos.  

Next up will be finishing the spreaders including doubling their thickness and adding a ledge to the bottom pieces for a tray.

Have fun,

mike

post-14003-0-75521400-1408915228_thumb.j

post-14003-0-76229700-1408915229_thumb.j

Howdy,

There is nothing more boring that watching glue dry, so I thought I'd share some of the glue ups for those of you who have too much excitement and stress in your lives.  

Here are the ends, top and bottom and upper side rails being beefed up with the addition of parallel boards glued to them.  I decided to go back to the side top rails near the top instead of lowered six inches or so.  The rails are five inches wide, so any clamps I have will grip without problems when clamping to the bench top (thank you very much for that curse, I mean idea Mr. Schwarz...).

Have fun,

mike

post-14003-0-21818300-1409090441_thumb.j

Two bottom end rail overlays  

post-14003-0-16771800-1409090442_thumb.j

Two top end rails with overlays

post-14003-0-85784900-1409090479_thumb.j

Top side rail tripled in width.

Howdy,

Status update:  All four side rails and four end rails are glued up.  Tomorrow I hope to trim the ends, then do the layout for the bolts. After that, assembly.  I am ready to do some work on the bench, and I am getting exited.  I think I'll plane and finish the base before I assemble it.  Haven't decided what to use yet, but it will probably be simple shellac.

Have fun,

mike

Howdy,

The base is mostly finished.  I bolted it together for a test fit.  A few joints need to be fine tuned; otherwise, it is finished.  The new base is much sturdier than the old bench, even without the top attached.  

The biggest challenge has been working without a wood vise.  So far I have made due with a steel benchtop vise with cauls between the work and steel jaws.  Ugh!

Now to disassemble, fine tune, sand, and finish the parts before assembly.

Having fun on the Brazos,

mike

post-14003-0-67261800-1410200904_thumb.j

post-14003-0-70552200-1410200905_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy,

Its been a while since I posted progress, but nothing exciting has gone on.  I finished three coats of Arm R Seal on the base, fine tuned the squareness and connections, then bolted it all together.  Now I am working on the top.  

Has anyone put a storage shelf on their workbench?  I'm trying to decide if I should.  

Here are a few pics that don't look much different than the trial assemble, but hey, it is progress.

post-14003-0-17283900-1412133076_thumb.j

post-14003-0-34167800-1412133075_thumb.j

Have fun,

mike

• 2 months later...