looking suggestions

Dnorris1369

First of all this might be a lengthy post so thanks in advance for anyone that reads the whole thing.  lol  I have a 20x30 metal shop.  Its one of those metal kits you can buy that bolt together if anyone has seen them.  Looks kinda like an aircraft hanger to me.  Anyways I dont have any walls (well wood walls that is ) except for the ends and one end has a rollup door and regular door,so really only one wood wall end is what is have.  I really dont want to frame the inside up because of the space it will take up.  So any suggestions on creating storage on metal walls?  Next i have a harbor freight dust collector.  I am thinking about walling in a little room on the outside of the building to put dust collector and air compressor and then pipe the stuff in to create more workspace inside.(good idea??)  and next im thinking of using pvc to pipe in dust collection to machines.  Currently i have the following major tools---table saw,bandsaw,lunchbox planer,tabletop drill press,tabletop spindle sander.  I am going to add a jointer soon(well hopefully soon depending on the funds)  so is 4inch pvc a good way to pipe to all the machines and then flex to each one or should i do six and step down at each machine.  And also attaching the pvc to the metal is another concern.  Thanks guys for any input. 

If you don't want to frame up walls inside, pehaps you could try upright storage racks / cabinets on wheels. As for the dust collector and compressor being in an external shed, sounds good as long as there is enough ventillation so the motors don't overheat. PVC is commonly used for DC piping, but a grounding system is highly recommended to control static. Does your DC have a 6" intake port? If so, then you would get the best performance by using 6" pipe as far as possible, then reducung it near each tool. If the DC has 4" port, I doubt you gain anything by running 6" pipe. I think one of the dust collector mfg websites has a tool to help calculate what you need.

If you don't wish to frame up, insulate, and add wall board of some sort then I'd think you have to build free standing shelf units.  I insulated and closed mine in and am quite happy I did..  It was just shy of 90 degrees here yesterday and my shop never hit 70 degrees - no air conditioner.  To me, that was much better than the 5 or 6 inches of space around the outside. 

• Like 1

Tiods. Is your building metal also? The big problem with the walls in mine is the curve starts only maybe 5 ft off the ground

Yes, mine is metal.  Pole construction, sheeted with OSB, house wrap, and then metal.  I built stud walls on the inside and insulated.

With your shape, that would certainly be more difficult.  I'm sure it can be done but, would defer to someone who's done it before.