Drill press spinning on pully

schu777

Earlier this spring I started to drill out some maple using a Forster bit of 1.75" (or 2") and about 3/4" in the drill wouldn't drill and just spin on the pulley.  At first I thought it was the drill chuck spinning, but by hand I can hold the drill chuck and hold the pulley and see the shaft spin on the pulley.  This drill press is a Shop Fox W1668 - so I'm hoping someone has some recommendations for fixing this issue, as I really would like to continue on with that project.

PS: Yes, I know it's August and I was having issues with it in the spring - but we all get busy with family/work and other projects.

Michael

It may be the belt slipping on the pulley rather than the pulley slipping on the shalt.  Try loosening the knobs on the motor and pushing the motor back more as you tighten the knobs.

With that said, if it's hard maple and your 2" forstner bit isn't especially sharp you may have issues anyway.  What you can do is start the hole with your large bit, then drill to depth with a smaller bit, then come back with your large bit again.  If you don't start with the large bit you won't have anything to keep it centered.

I've been in contact with Grizzly support - about one email a day.  It's the shaft to the pulley that is slipping that needs to be taken off and cleaned.  Now the question is when I'll get to it...

As for the key - the part diagram of the drill press doesn't show one - so I'll find out when I take it apart...

If I get around to it, I'll take some pics and post them as I'm doing the "project".

Michael

• 7 years later...