Why dovetailing softwoods sucks

Bombarde16

People's exhibit A

qaqypeva.jpg

And the prosecution rests. These panels are from a KD entertainment center. The stickers say "made in Brazil" and they're some sort of plantation grown conifer. Seriously, pith and all, the growth rings are a half an inch apart in some of the boards.

For all that, they've been weathering the season changes in a baking hot attic and are dead flat. Freaky.

Maybe a new coping saw and some sharper chisels ? But yea that kind of wood does suck.

Don't I wish. I'm always looking for an excuse to add more gear, but these were indeed coped before being chiseled. And this was the tails board that I chiseled •after• sharpening my low angle chisel...the before board is even worse.

Offered to the forum for what it's worth. Friends don't let friends dovetail cheap softwoods.

• Like 2

Just remember that the strength in a dovetail joint comes from the mechanical configuration and the glue on the face grain on the sides of the pins and tails. The end grain surface adds little or nothing to the strength. As long as the top and bottom edges are clean, the mess inside the joint doesn't matter.

You can grind and hone a chisel as low as ten or twelve degrees for wood like that, I'd suggest a vintage cast steel honey from a British manufacturer.   I'd saw it close with a coping saw and pare down.  Don't chop in this instance.

This wood is the measure of a chisel.  Hardwoods will cut surprisingly cleanly with a dull-ish chisel and one honed at 30* or higher.

All true and I would add one more to Derek's observation: the photo is indicative of a shop project where the dovetailer doesn't particularly care to fuss about being neat.

To bring things full circle, the nice thing about dovetailing softwoods is that they are...well, SOFT! I sawed to the line and could bang things together with no paring whatsoever. The time I saved not having to fuss over fitting pins and tails I was then able to put towards tracing some artwork for the little one to decorate the box in question.

agujudu3.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...