Need Help With Grandfather's Tool And Wood Collection

Hello, I received this link from a group on reddit. We are in the process completing a 18 month project of organizing a lifetime collection of 10's of thousands of tools and several thousand board feet of hardwood. I am in need of help identifying species of wood and tools. I don't know if this is the right group to contact for this task, or even have the desire to do so. 

My  grandfather  passed away a couple of years ago and I have been tasked with organizing the estate for auction/sale. I have sold a few hundred (yes hundred) antique wood planes on ebay, and there are several hundred more to sell. That's the easy part - the hard part for us are the 2 barns and 2 outbuildings full of woodworking grade lumber that needs to be gone through and sorted somehow. Grandpa was a past president of IWCS (in the 80's I believe). We'd really like to get these tools and wood into the hands of people who appreciate it. A standard auction seems like it will bring more trolls and people looking to get bargains and re-sell, which would break my heart. We have reached out to IWCS current officers, they are spread out over the country, and not in good enough health to travel.

Thank you again!

Tony Sailors

785 550 1588

I'm sure that if you post either some photos or a link to a site with photos then you will get lots of help identifying the tools and wood.

I don't know if you have one already but if not then I can set up a gallery website for you free of charge. That way you can post pictures of the tools/wood that you need help identifying in one place and get help from allthe people you want.

If you want to control who can see it then it can be password protected and only those you give the password to will be able to view it.

As I own a few domain names I can simply create this as a subdomain to one of those so it won't cost me anything apart from maybe an hour or two of my time.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll get something in place.

I'm sure that if you post some pics here, you'll get responses you don't expect!  There are many of us willing to make a road trip, if the value for those of us that actually "use" tools are worth it!  We are always looking for bargins, but we won't take advantage!  For wood and tools, we'd give you fair value, because we believe that fair is the correct way to exist.     Post some pics here, and see what happens.... It won't matter to you, but it'll give you feedback and an idea of the value you may have!

I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about trying to identify the species of wood.  There's so many ways to get it wrong.  Set a price that you think is fair and let it be buyer's choice.  The good stuff will move quickly (maybe too quickly if your price is a bit low) and when people start to turn their noses up at it you'll know it's time to lower your price or find some organization to donate the balance to.

As far as the tools are concerned, they generally should have enough information on them or in their design that you'll be able to figure out what you have.  Don't try too hard to get suggested retail for them.  Most people tend to overvalue what they have.  If you're really trying to move it, be fair and realistic.  You'll find both you and the buyer benefit in that case.

• Like 1