Table Build

..Kev

I wasn't going to post this project as it wasn't one I really liked.  The client wanted it a particular way so, that's what they get.  However, I did think there was some interesting parts worth posting so, here it is..

This is the table given as the example to build.

1wLGPf.jpg

Since it's to be painted black, I used poplar for the build.  As strange as it may sound, my lumber dealer didn't have any 8/4 poplar so, I had to do a glue up.  Here's the legs ready to go for the tapering jig

8i6piQ.jpg

There's also a bead detail on the bottom of the aprons.  I cut oversized pieces and glued them up.  Trimmed them later.

7iCuNK.jpg

Back to the leg tapering...    Since I wasn't going to post this, this picture was taken much later in the process.  I'll show the jig for the detail shortly.

C46J0T.jpg

Once that was complete, I made and used a jig to pattern route the lower leg detail.

6FJCTF.jpg

Iw3Mix.jpg

Next I sized the rails so that the leg details matched correctly.  Then I created the template for the upper leg detail.

WK5VOv.jpg

hnMNw7.jpg

To finish the legs, I used a 3/4" cove bit in the router table.  I used one of the off cuts from tapering the legs to keep the leg square to the table.

seHpiD.jpg

The joinery is Domino which was by far the quickest part of this build.  Here's a dry fit before any of the sanding even started.

cKYOJN.jpg

And this is where this table sits currently, about 3 days in and the glue up and lots of sanding is complete.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/536/5yP0cE.jpg

Client needs to make some decisions on the top before I can do too much more.  I'll try to update it as progress is made.

• Like 2

Nice work on the build log, too! I find these to be very helpful, thanks.

Thanks for that!  Frankly, that's why I posted this one.  I was hoping someone could get some helpful tips from it.

After seeing it come together, I also wish I'd of used some really nice lumber and kept it for myself...lol

• Like 2

Looks pretty good to me ! Mixed emotions about clients choices come with the territory . I have learned to appreciate a style that would never be welcome in my home. Appreciate the skill and craftsmanship it takes to execute that style even if it doesn't appeal to you.

I would buy the rope mold I saw around the sample picture . Painting the gold leaf looking accent color could be fun! <grin>

• Like 2

Looks pretty good to me ! Mixed emotions about clients choices come with the territory . I have learned to appreciate a style that would never be welcome in my home. Appreciate the skill and craftsmanship it takes to execute that style even if it doesn't appeal to you.

I would buy the rope mold I saw around the sample picture . Painting the gold leaf looking accent color could be fun! <grin>

I will admit that I'm not looking forward to the guilding.

Your lumber yard didn't have 8/4 Poplar????  Do you buy your lumber from the trunk of some guy's car in the Denny's parking lot??  Maybe its a West coast thing but that blows my mind.  Anyway, I'm digging this table.  I agree that it isn't something I would want in my house but the details pose some cool woodworking challenges and it is fun to see how you tackled it.  Looking forward to seeing the rest. 

Your lumber yard didn't have 8/4 Poplar????  Do you buy your lumber from the trunk of some guy's car in the Denny's parking lot??  Maybe its a West coast thing but that blows my mind.  Anyway, I'm digging this table.  I agree that it isn't something I would want in my house but the details pose some cool woodworking challenges and it is fun to see how you tackled it.  Looking forward to seeing the rest. 

I did a project a while back where I needed a piece of 8/4 poplar and they only had 1 piece left.  I'm beginning to think that they didn't order any more as they probably don't move that much of it.

Thanks for the kind words!