Table Build

..Kev

If I have to paint wood it gets sprayed, sanded between coats and ends up a smooth as my clear finished work. Otherwise I supply sanded unfinished work for someone else to paint !

Table is looking quite sharp!

Thanks Steve.  This was sprayed with Lacquer and sanded between coats.  It will get a few coats of clear after the gilding is complete.

It looks great.
I know what you mean about not being your favorite style but the client gets what the client wants.

I had this one year where every project I did, the clients wanted them painted white.... really? How boring. At the time I was doing mostly built-ins and murphy beds so it was a lot of white. Finally, I had a client that wanted a bunch of bookshelves done in Cherry. Yay! It was such a welcome change from all the white.

BTW - I think Poplar is very under-rated. Granted it has its flaws but it ends up being a real work horse in my shop.

Looks great....I really like the shadow profile routed into the legs.... could be a useful technique on all kinds of styles.

I am sure a lot (if not most) woodworkers get business from people who want a customized version of something they see at store... no shame in that as long as they are willing to pay a fair price.   We all know it is hard to beat retail prices for custom made furniture. 

Thanks for the encouraging words all!

Started the top this morning.  BB ply wrapped with poplar and a profile routed on.  Then, I cut the egg and dart molding for the rise and got it dry fit.  Still have all the sanding and filling but, here's the pics..

TbwWCh.jpg

chmVKQ.jpg

AbvQjn.jpg

Awesome! I had to do something a few years ago in a bridal dress shop for the boss. He wanted to the designs in the moldings to pop so we threw some of the gray wall paint on and wiped it back. Cheesy perhaps, but it got the job done, and at 10' up in the air, it's very hard to see how it was done anyways. 

post-3732-0-96272500-1407342013_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-41775600-1407342018_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Freddie's accent trick worked well, but isn't that a job for a painter? ,

Gilding that molding should be interesting. I have never tried it so watching your progress will be fun.

Work fascinates me, I could watch it all day !

Might not want to watch me.....lol  I set up a bunch of test pieces.  I ran the first test and learned the first lesson today - Use spray adhesive and have the proper tools!  It worked but, it's not up to snuff enough for the table yet.  

Freddie's accent trick worked well, but isn't that a job for a painter? ,

I am everybody at my everyday job Steve. My boss is basically a business owner for many different trades. He doesn't really understand the aspects of construction and carpentry, and makes my father and I do all the work ourselves to avoid hiring other trades. I'm waiting for my winning lotto ticket, or a piano to fall on me so I don't have to do it no more. :)

Gilding test pieces are moving along slowly!  It's looking good but, it's just a slow process because of drying times.

So, in the mean time, I got the table top trim put on, the bottom of the table top painted with lacquer, and I built another cutting board.  I'll put up pics a bit later.

A little something about pictures.  First off, I am certainly not a pro.  In fact, I'm not even sure I'd rank as an amateur!

I showed this picture to the client and they questioned if it was brown or black.  Now, to me it's obvious but, they've only seen pictures.  Looking at the picture, I realized that looking at the apron, that section does look kind of brown.

Then it dawned on me what happened.  When I took this picture, the window behind me was open and the sun was shining in.  So, I went back out, closed the blinds and took another pic.  No questions now.

So, lesson learned!  Pay close attention to pictures before sending them to clients!

EeelPw.jpg 

• Like 1

Geez!  I take a couple days off and you crank out another really nice piece.  

I'm not a fan of painting either but you absolutely picked the right wood for the piece and then did incredible work on it.  I'm loving the details and appreciate you taking the time to post them for the benefit of the rest of us.  I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses and turns out.

BTW, if the client decides he doesn't like it, you're not putting it in my house.  (Said the guy who uses an antique steamer trunk for a coffee table.)

• Like 1

Geez!  I take a couple days off and you crank out another really nice piece.  

I'm not a fan of painting either but you absolutely picked the right wood for the piece and then did incredible work on it.  I'm loving the details and appreciate you taking the time to post them for the benefit of the rest of us.  I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses and turns out.

BTW, if the client decides he doesn't like it, you're not putting it in my house.  (Said the guy who uses an antique steamer trunk for a coffee table.)

Thanks for the kind words!  

If they don't want it, I could have trouble finding a home for it... ;)

Had to order some supplies.  First bit came in today, rest should be in mid week.

I promise I won't leave you vultures out  ;)

Also, the client wasn't happy with the size of the top so, in the interest of a happy client, I rebuilt the top and will apply the lacquer to it in the morning.